SOAP orders have been used for responding to arrested sex buyers in more than 135 U.S. cities and counties. This tactic involves prohibiting or restricting arrested sex buyers from visiting areas with known prostitution activity, and/or the vicinity of their arrest. The general approach—called geographic “exclusion zones” or “restraining orders” when applied to other kinds of offenders—are often identified as “Stay Out of Areas with Prostitution” or “SOAP” orders when applied to sex buyers (as well as to prostituted women).
To learn more about this intervention, access the resources below.
Overview of the Use of SOAP Orders in one U.S. city
- SOAP Order Overview from National Assessments
- Tampa, FL: https://criminaldefenseattorneytampa.com/offering-to-commit-prostitution/prostitution exclusion zones
City Ordinances Establishing and Describing SOAP Orders
Proposed State Legislation Allowing Cities to Establish SOAP Orders
- Bill Proposed by Newport News, VA Allowing Local Geographic Exclusion Zones for Prostitution (DOCX, 15.3KB)
Reports on SOAP Orders
- Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department. (2006). Prostitution Exclusion Zone. (PDF, 1,576.4KB) Project summary submitted for the 2006 Goldstein Award, Office of Community Oriented Policing, U.S. Department of Justice.
- San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department. (1993). Foothill Corridor Project. (PDF, 45.7KB) Submission for Herman Goldstein Award for Excellence in Problem-Oriented Policing.
- San Bernardino Police Department. (1999). Prostitution Restraining Order Program. (PDF, 95.1KB)
- San Diego Police Department. (1994). Glitter Track: The Use of a Temporary Restraining Order to Solve the Prostitution Problem. (PDF, 131.9KB)
- Moser, S. L. (2000). Anti-prostitution zones: justifications for abolition. J. Crim. L. & Criminology, 91, 1101.
News Articles on SOAP orders and Exclusion Zones
- Elk Grove, CA: http://www.egcitizen.com/news/three-suspects-arrested-in-local-prostitution-sting/article_c627859e-b139-11e8-baec-1fb25c0b9734.html (2018)
- Milwaukee, WI: https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/politics/2019/04/05/sex-trafficking-milwaukee-may-raise-fines-soliciting-prostitutes/3375156002/ (2019)
- Orlando, FL: https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news (2004)
- Tampa Bay, FL: https://www.tampabay.com/Tampa-police-arrest-25-in-prostitution-crackdown-near-nebraska-avenue (2012)