|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Moorhead is the largest city in Northwest Minnesota, with a population of roughly 45,000 residents, and is the county seat of Clay County, MN. The city is situated along the Minnesota-North Dakota border and is the Minnesota portion of the Fargo, ND metropolitan area. Prostitution and sex trafficking are substantial issues in the area and have generated complaints from residents and businesses to local law enforcement agencies. The Moorhead Police Department, along with the Clay County Sheriff’s Office, the Fargo Police Department (ND), and the Cass County Sheriff’s Office (ND), have reported commercial sex to be a significant problem, particularly in local hotels and motels. Additionally, officers have reported a shift in the location of the area’s commercial sex market from the streets to online. Among the more serious issues associated with the area’s commercial sex market are child sex trafficking/exploitation. For example, police and advocacy groups report that sex trafficking is also increasing in the area due to the economic boom related to the Bakken oilfield production, and the influx of male workers in the region. For example, in 2014, police arrested two men after they had allegedly been sex trafficking a 13-year-old girl online.
In an effort to reduce the demand for prostitution, the Moorhead Police Department conducts periodic street-level reverse stings, and has released the names of arrested sex buyers since at least 2008. In April 2014, for example, two male sex buyers were arrested following a reverse sting a Moorhead hotel. Their identities were publicized by several media outlets.
In addition to street-level reverse stings, in response to the shift in online commercial sex activity in the area, the MPD frequently conducts web-based reverse sting operations. For example, in May, 2017, a man was charged in Clay County District Court in connection with an underage sex sting. The 60-year-old man faces one count of attempting to hire a person under the age of 18 but who is at least 16 years old for purposes of prostitution. Moorhead police were alerted by a North Dakota law enforcement agency that was participating in Operation Guardian Angel, a federal operation targeting individuals seeking to sexually exploit minors in exchange for money. According to reports, the suspect had attempted to solicit sex from a decoy officer the sex buyer believed to be a 16-year-old girl. A meeting was set up in Woodlawn Park in Moorhead and a police detective was at the park when the suspect arrived.
Employment loss is also a consequence of buying sex that occurs in the city. For example, in 1977, a Moorhead State University professor was suspended from his position after a student reported to police that the professor and another man had attempted to solicit her for commercial sex as a way to pay her student debt. The student reported the incident to police, resulting in further investigation, and the arrest of an additional man on soliciting prostitution charges. The professor was charged with soliciting prostitution and conspiracy to solicit prostitution but was granted immunity if he testified against the other man.
Street-Level Reverse Stings, Identity Disclosure:
- “Man with History of Prostitution Caught Again,” Grand Forks Herald, June 28 2006.
- https://www.inforum.com/newsmd/two-cited-for-soliciting-in-moorhead-prostitution-sting (2009)
- “Prostitution Sting Leads to Two Men Being Arrested,” ABC/WDAY-TV 6, April 3 2014.
- “Moorhead Prostitution Sting Leads to Two Men Being Arrested,” Grand Forks Herald, April 4 2014.
- “Prostitution Bust in Moorhead,” KMJO-FM 104.7, April 4 2014.
Web-Based Reverse Stings, Identity Disclosure:
- Harwood man sentenced in prostitution case (2014)
- FNS – Harwood man sentenced in prostitution case (2014)
- Canova man, former District 8 hopeful pleads not guilty to prostitution (2014)
- https://www.sayanythingblog.com/entry/south-dakota-democrat-forum-communications-employee-arrested-soliciting-prostitution/ (2014)
- “Louisville Man Arrested in Moorhead Prostitution Sting,” Inforum/Fargo Communications Company, May 15 2015.
- “Moorhead Police Arrest Kentucky Man for Solicitation of a Minor,” ABC/WDAZ-TV 8, May 15 2015.
- Fargo man charged in Clay County with trying to hire minor for prostitution (2017)
- Two men sentenced to jail time in ‘Guardian Angel’ sting of men seeking minor girls (2017)
- https://www.westfargopioneer.com/news/4233930-fargo-man-charged-clay-county-trying-hire-minor-prostitution (2017)
Employment Loss, Sex Buyer Arrest, Identity Disclosure:
- Moorhead coed tells of soliciting prostitution (1977)
- Professor denies suggesting prostitution to female student (1977)
- Judge drops drug charge in case of prostitution (1977)
- Professor, pimp, trapped by ‘student bait’ (1977)
- City charges legislator with soliciting sex (1987)
- Kludt guilty in sex case, gets ‘informal’ probation (1987)
- Deal with Kludt may aid probe of Montpetit (1988)
- St. Paul police chief ends prostitution probe (1988)
- Rep. Kludt will not be penalized further (1988)
- Kludt apologizes for illegal conduct (1988)
Sex Trafficking and Child Sexual Exploitation in the Area:
- Family-run, multistate prostitution ring busted (1999)
- “Moorhead Police Charge Two with Sex-Trafficking 13-Year-Old,” Grand Forks Herald, July 12 2014.
- Moorhead police charge two with sex-trafficking 13-year-old (2014)
- “Bail Set in New Child Rape Charges against Accused Sex Trafficker,” Grand Forks Herald, October 15 2014.
- “Fargo Man Accused of Working for 5 Months to Lure Women into Prostitution Scheme,” Forum of Fargo-Moorhead, November 21 2014.
- “Accused Child Sex Trafficker Says He Was in Moorhead to See Family,” Willmar West Central Tribune, March 18 2015.
- “Defense Wants Mistrial Declared in Moorhead Sex Trafficking Case,” KFGO-AM 790, May 5 2015.
- Man sentenced for promoting prostitution (2015)
- “Photo of Leashed Young Woman Led Cops to Alleged Sex Trafficker in Moorhead,” Bemidji Pioneer, April 4 2016.
Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Datelines: Region Dancers Charged with Prostitution,” Grand Forks Herald, September 3 1988.
- “Three Little Prostitutes… Put Moorhead City Manager in a Squirmy Squeeze,” Fargo Examiner, December 17 2010.
- “Police Chiefs Meet to Hash out Uniform Adult Dancing Laws, Cities Try to Agree Upon General Themes in Enforcement,” Grand Forks Herald, January 12 2013.
- “A License to Strip? Moorhead Proposal Is Laid Bare,” Minneapolis Star-Tribune, January 25 2013.
- U Study analyzes buyers of sex (2017)