Mill Valley is a city of approximately 14,000 residents, located just north of San Francisco in Marin County, California near San Rafael. Cases of prostitution and child sexual exploitation have been reported in the city. For example, in 2003, “a 43-year-old Mill Valley man was arraigned on charges that he repeatedly injected a 14-year-old girl with methamphetamine and sexually abused her” in the area. The city also drew national attention in the late 1980s, when the city was described by media outlets as the operational base for a large-scale prostitution ring serving the greater San Francisco Bay area.
In June 2014, deputies from the Marin County Sheriff’s Office and officers from several county police departments conducted a web-based reverse sting in Mill Valley, San Rafael, Corte Madera and Novato as part of the FBI’s Operation Cross Country. Twenty-two sex buyers were arrested as a result; their identities were not released to the public.
- Marin County Sheriff’s Office
- Marin County Probation Department
- Martin County District Attorney’s Office
- Novato Police Department
- San Rafael Police Department
- Sausalito Police Department
- Fairfax Police Department
- Mill Valley Police Department
- Oakland Police Department
- Web-Based Reverse Stings:
- Sex Trafficking and Child Sexual Exploitation in the Area:
- “Mill Valley Man Arraigned on Sex Charges”, Marin Independent Journal, July 16 2003.
- Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “San Jose Arrest Leads to Alleged Prostitution Ring”, San Jose Mercury News, February 20 1987.
- “Vice Cops Raid Escort Service In Mill Valley – 3 Arrested”, San Francisco Chronicle, February 20 1987.
- “Sausalito Man Arrested in Alleged Male Prostitution Sting”, Mill Valley Patch, June 4 2011.
- “Massage Parlor Engages in Prostitution”, Mill Valley Patch, June 26 2013.