Elizabeth City, NC
|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Elizabeth City is located in the north-east corner of North Carolina, in Pasquotank County, and has a population of approximately 19,000. Prostitution activity has been well-documented within the city, and the problems and ancillary crimes it generates results in complaints to law enforcement agencies. Among the more serious crimes associated with the local commercial sex market is sex trafficking of teens.
Consumer level demand provides the revenue stream for all prostitution and sex trafficking, and has therefore been targeted by local law enforcement agencies as a strategy for prevention and response. For example, the Elizabeth City Police Department has been conducting reverse stings since 2003. In the summer of 2008, the police department conducted their first large-scale reverse sting operation, resulting in 19 arrests in five hours. These operations have not been conducted routinely, but in response to complaints from the community. The reversals have usually resulted in 10 or more arrests. Those arrested are charged with a misdemeanor.
- Elizabeth City Police Department
Background on Local Prostitution, Sex Trafficking:
- https://www.13newsnow.com/elizabeth-city-man-charged-in-prostitution-of-14-year-old-girl (2016)
- https://www.outerbanksvoice.com/its-really-close-to-home/ (2020)
- https://www.dailyadvance.com/sheriff-ec-man-facing-prostitution-charges-used-home-as-brothel (2023)
- https://www.witn.com/elizabeth-city-man-arrested-charged-with-running-brothel/ (2023)
- https://www.thecoastlandtimes.com/elizabeth-city-man-facing-charges-for-promoting-prostitution/ (2023)
- https://www.witn.com/elizabeth-city-man-behind-bars-promoting-brothel/ (2023)
Comments are closed.