Elgin is a city of roughly 100,000 residents, in greater Chicago metropolitan area. The city has conducted at least 10 reverse stings, to our knowledge. One of the more recent ones, occurring in October 2011, was coordinated with other cities in an effort called “A National Day of Johns Arrests.” The Cook County Sheriff’s Office has co-coordinated several of these national (or more precisely, multi-city) efforts. The one in the fall of 2011 included police and sheriff’s departments from Cook County, Aurora, Cincinatti, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Phoenix and Newport, VA, resulting in the arrests of 216 sex buyers collectively. A more typical operation occurred in June, 2014, and resulted in the arrest of six sex buyers.
The men arrested in Elgin are charged with violating a city ordinance. Autos can also be impounded when used in a crime, including buying sex. In the June 2014 operation, all six subjects were arrested and charged with Solicitation of a Sexual Act, a Class A Misdemeanor, and were given court dates in Elgin Branch Court, 150 Dexter Court. Their vehicles were towed under the City of Elgin local ordinance for soliciting a prostitute, which carries a $1,000 fine.
- Elgin Police Department
- Cook County Sheriff’s Office
- National Assessment Survey and Interview
- Street-Level Reverse Stings:
- “Police Arrest 9 Men in Prostitution Sting”, Chicago Tribune, October 21 2003.
- “Eleven Men Arrested in Prostitution Sting”, Arlington Heights Daily Herald, August 8 2010.
- “Area Police Agencies Take Part in Nationwide Prostitution Sting”, Chicago Tribune, October 11 2011.
- “Aurora, Elgin Cops, Cook Sheriff Take Part in National ‘John’ Sting”, Arlington Heights Daily Herald, October 12 2011.
- “Elgin Police Arrest 6 Men in Prostitution Sting”, Chicago Tribune, October 13 2011.
- “4 Men Charged with Soliciting Prostitutes on Elgin’s West Side”, Arlington Heights Daily Herald, August 18 2012.
- “Four Arrested in Elgin Prostitution Sting”, CBS/WBBM-TV 2, August 20 2012.
- “Cops: Reverse Prostitution Operation Leads to Six Arrests”, Elgin Courier News, June 10 2014.
- “Cops: Reverse Prostitution Operation Leads to Six Arrests”, WLS-AM 890, June 15 2014.
- Auto Seizure:
- Proposed Shaming:
- Neighborhood Action:
- Sex Trafficking and Child Sexual Exploitation in the Area:
- Documented Violence against Individuals Engaged in Prostitution in the Area:
- “Police Notes; Prostitution Charges Follow Robbery”, Arlington Heights Daily Herald, June 6 1995.
- “Police: Family Attacks Man in Hotel with Prostitute”, Elgin Courier News, July 25 2010.
- “Cops: Man Tried to Strangle Prostitute after 30-Plus Encounters in 4 Days”, CBS/WBBM-TV 2, May 8 2012.
- “Letters: Elgin Police Should Not Have Charged Woman in Hotel Battery”, Elgin Courier News, May 30 2012.
- Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Elgin to Deal with Lingering Evils; Proposed Loitering Law Aimed at Drugs and Prostitutes”, Chicago Tribune, May 22 1991.
- “Woman Accused of Prostitution, Attempted Transmission of HIV”, Chicago Tribune, September 23 1997.
- “Prostitution Suspect Faces HIV Charge”, Chicago Tribune, May 6 1999.
- “Police Reports; Elgin Man Accused of Pandering, Trespassing”, Arlington Heights Daily Herald, September 18 1999.
- “Four People Accused of Running a Prostitution Ring Out…”, Chicago Tribune, February 25 2003.
- “Two Women, Man Charged after Sting at Elgin Hotel”, Arlington Heights Daily Herald, February 15 2008.
- “City Tougher on Prostitution? Council to Look at ‘Enhancing’ Laws Already in Effect”, Elgin Courier News, July 22 2008.
- “Cops Make Prostitution Arrests near Larkin High”, Elgin Courier News, March 13 2009.
- “Six Nabbed in Second Prostitution Sting in Elgin”, Arlington Heights Daily Herald, August 15 2010.
- “3 Elgin Woman Are Charged with Prostitution after Undercover Operation”, Elgin Courier News, June 19 2014.