Elkhart is a city of approximately 51,000 residents, located just east of South Bend in Elkhart County, Indiana. The Elkhart Police Department has been conducting street-level reverse stings since 2005. While reverse stings are conducted routinely, major efforts are executed approximately four times per year. Shaming is also practiced by publicizing the photos of those arrested in the local media, as well as posting them on the Elkhart County Prosecutor’s Office’s website. The Elkhart Police Department has also posted videos of their reverse sting operations. Those arrested are often sentenced to some sort of geographical restriction. The community of Elkhart is very active in voicing their concerns, so neighborhood watch and public education programs are also in effect.
- Elkhart Police Department
- Elkhart County Prosecutor’s Office
- National Assessment Survey
- Reverse Stings:
- “Elkhart: Six Arrested During Prostitution Sting”, Elkhart Truth, October 31 2007.
- “Elkhart Police Arrest 10 in Undercover Prostitution Sting”, South Bend Tribune, June 19 2008.
- “12 Arrested After Elkhart Prostitution Sting”, South Bend Tribune, July 3 2008.
- “Police Cracking Down on Prostitution in Elkhart”, South Bend Tribune, July 23 2008.
- “Police Arrest 4 in Elkhart Prostitution Sting”, South Bend Tribune, May 5 2009.
- “Project 365 Prostitution Sting”, Elkhart Truth, October 1 2010.
- “Six Arrested in Prostitution Sting as Part of Elkhart Police’s Project 365”, Elkhart Truth, November 13 2010.
- “Elkhart Police Prostitution Sting Nets 12 Arrests”, Elkhart Truth, September 15 2011.
- “10 Arrested in Elkhart Prostitution Sting”, WISH-TV 8, January 17 2012.
- Auto Seizure:
- Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Elkhart Sex Sting Nets Teen Runaway”, South Bend Tribune, November 3 2007.
- “Elkhart Neighbors Speak About Prostitution Problem”, South Bend Tribune, June 15 2008.
- “Project 365 Aims to Fix Up Troubled Elkhart Neighborhood”, Elkhart Truth, September 22 2010.
- “Editorial: Why Not Try to Repeat Project 365 Success?”, Elkhart Truth, April 8 2012.