|IT Based Tactics
Doral is a city in Miami-Dade County, Florida, with a population of approximately 76,000. Doral is located about 1 mile from Miami International Airport and 13 miles from Downtown Miami. Prostitution and sex trafficking are well-documented local problems in Doral. For example, in 2014, two massage parlors in Doral, owned by the same person, were shut down after undercover officials were reportedly solicited for prostitution inside. The investigation leading up to the enforcement actions lasted six to eight months. The owner was arrested for hiring an unlicensed therapist, and the employee was arrested for offering to commit prostitution and having no massage therapy license. The business was closed, and all licenses were taken. At the second location, a similar scene unfolded. A detective from the MDPD was sent in and was also solicited for prostitution. The procedure continued like the first, in which all agencies involved entered to conduct inspections.
In May 2017, a woman was arrested in Doral and faced charges including deriving support from the proceeds of prostitution, maintaining a house of prostitution, money laundering, soliciting another to commit prostitution, and operating a massage parlor without a license, according to a Miami-Dade arrest warrant. The warrant stated that the woman ran prostitution houses at businesses in Doral and on Miami’s 8th Street. Police began investigating after receiving an anonymous tip about prostitution happening at a spa in Doral. Miami-Dade police detectives conducted an undercover operation, posing as a potential female employee and a male customer. In May 2021, a Miami man was arrested and accused of operating two brothels in Miami-Dade County. The man was a licensed Florida real estate agent, who police say ran two brothels in Miami-Dade County, one in an apartment in Doral and another disguised as a spa in West Kendall, located next to a child daycare center. The man faced more than two dozen charges, including deriving financial support from prostitution and money laundering.
Among the efforts to address such problems has been the arrest and identity disclosure of sex buyers. For example, in January 2022, a 61-year-old man was arrested after offering a 12-year-old girl $20 to allow him to sexually assault her, and when she declined, he fondled her, according to police. The man allegedly approached the girl as she was throwing out the garbage. The man followed her, fondled her breast, and then fled. When the girl saw him lurking in her neighborhood again, her grandmother called the police. Officers arrested him in Doral, according to the arrest form. Corrections officers booked him and detained him at the Turner Guilford Knight Correctional Center on charges of lewd and lascivious molestation on a child and lewd and lascivious contact on a child.
In March, 2023, it was announced that a man who paid to sexually assault two minors was sentenced to 15 years in prison. The criminal complaint said the man answered an online prostitution advertisement offering the paid sexual services of two 21-year-old women. The ad was placed by law enforcement, and the undercover officer told the suspect that the two women actually were girls, aged 13 and 15. The man continued the discussion, and agreed to pay $400 to sexually abuse them both. He agreed to pay $550 when the undercover officer agreed the suspect’s paid rape could be done without a condom and that he could take photos of the girls – thus constituting child sexual abuse materials (CSAM). The suspect showed up to a Doral hotel as arranged, and when he handed over the cash, he was arrested. The operation was conducted by the Broward Sheriff’s Office, Miami-Dade Police Department, and Homeland Security Investigations. It was prosecuted in federal court.
- Doral Police Department
- Broward Sheriff’s Office
- Miami-Dade Police Department
- Homeland Security Investigations
Sex Buyers Arrest and Identity Disclosure:
- https://www.local10.com/man-arrested-after-propositioning-12-year-old-girl-to-engage-in-prostitution (2022)
- https://miami.cbslocal.com/man-accused-fondling-girl-arrested-doral/ (2022)
Web-Based Reverse Sting, Identity Disclosure:
Background on Local Prostitution, Sex Trafficking, Related CSAM:
- https://miami.cbslocal.com/police-shut-down-doral-massage-parlors-for-allegedly-soliciting-prostitution/ (2014)
- https://www.nbcmiami.com/woman-accused-of-running-prostitution-ring-in-miami-dade/ (2017)
- https://www.duimiamilawyer.com/miami-police-claim-to-bust-prostitution-ring-ran-by-local-woman/ (2017)
- https://www.cityofdoral.com/letters-to-council (2018)
- https://miami.cbslocal.com/miami-man-almicar-jose-leon-arrested-for-running-brothels-in-doral-and-west-kendall/ (2021)
- https://www.local10.com/miami-man-ran-multiple-brothels-including-a-spa-next-to-a-daycare-investigators-say/ (2021)
- https://www.local10.com/man-arrested-after-propositioning-12-year-old-girl-to-engage-in-prostitution-police-say/ (2022)
- https://www.aol.com/news/hollywood-man-paid-550-rapepaid-rape-two-minors arrested doral (2023)