|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Eatonville is a town in Orange County, Florida, located six miles north of Orlando. It is part of the Orlando–Kissimmee metropolitan statistical area, and has a population of approximately 2,300. Local prostitution is well documented in the town, and is related to numerous problems throughout the county, including child sex trafficking. The county has also been the site of the activity of a serial rapist who specifically targeted prostituted women in the county over a four-month period in 2012. In 1999, at least two prostituted women were assaulted by the same person, including one who suffered collapsed lungs, pelvic and rib fractures and internal injuries when she was thrown from a pickup and run over on an interstate highway. Sex trafficking has been documented in the city of Eatonvbille. For example, in August, 2019, an Eatonville man was arrested just days after being released on bond on charges of kidnapping and false imprisonment. Officials said the man held two women against their will and forced them into prostitution. He bonded out of jail, but was taken back into custody two days later on a new charge of forcing another to prostitute, assaulting and holding the two women captive in his home, and threatening to hurt them if they tried to leave.
Among the local responses to such problems have the the use of tactics designed to deter demand for commercial sex, which drives all prostitution and sex trafficking markets. In response to a survey conducted in 2021 by the NCOSE team for a National Institute of Justice grant to update and expand Demand Forum (Grant #2020-75-CX-0011), representatives from the Eatonville Police Department reported that they have implemented the following tactics: auto seizure, driver’s license suspension (since 2007), surveillance cameras (since 2010), loss of employment (since 2000), public education (since 2009), and a john school (beginning 2000).
- Eatonville Police Department
2021 National Assessment II Survey
Background on Local Sex Trafficking:
- “Man Charged in Prostitution Ring for Executives”, Orlando Sentinel, May 4 1985.
- “Man Charged with Forcing 16-Year-Old into Prostitution”, Orlando Sentinel, July 5 1985.
- “56-Year-Old Man Charged with Buying Sex from Girls”, Orlando Sentinel, May 20 1994.
- “5 Men Arrested in Child-Sex Case; Police Say Several of the Suspects Used 2 Young Orange County Girls as Prostitutes”, Orlando Sentinel, January 28 2006.
- “Cops: Teen Kidnapped, Held as Sex Slave”, Orlando Sentinel, August 14 2009.
- “Craigslist Prostitution Sting Yields 10 Arrests, Investigation”, Orlando Sentinel, November 8 2009.
- “Cops: Man Tried to Sell Girl, 15, for Sex”, Orlando Sentinel, December 23 2009.
- “Woman Tells Orange Deputies: I Was Forced into Prostitution”, Orlando Sentinel, August 17 2010.
- “Man Accused of Having Sex with Teen”, Orlando Sentinel, March 6 2012.
- “Teen Runaway: I Was Locked in a Van, Forced to Have Sex with Bar Patrons”, Orlando Sentinel, May 22 2013.
- “Ten Arrested in Alleged Orlando Prostitution Ring”, FOX/WOFL-TV 35, June 4 2014.
- “Bloods Gang Members Found Guilty of Sex Trafficking a 14-Year-Old Girl in Orange County”, Orlando Sentinel, September 9 2014.
- https://www.wftv.com/news/local/police-man-punched-threatened-to-kill-women-he-held-captive-inside-his-eatonville-home/ (2019)
- https://www.clickorlando.com/new-charges-for-eatonville-man-accused-of-kidnapping-forcing-women-into-prostitution/ (2019)
- https://www.orlandosentinel.com/kidnap-two-woman-prostitution (2019)
Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “County Putting More Criminals to Work”, Miami Herald, August 23 1982.
- “Prostitution Arrests”, Orlando Sentinel, January 30 1988.
- “‘I Turned Down Block by Mistake’; The Men Arrested Have a Difficult Time Trying to Explain Why They Would Risk Everything”, Orlando Sentinel, June 25 1995.
- “FHP Fires Trooper over Frequent Stops on Trail”, Orlando Sentinel, November 7 1998.
- “Operation Vice Grip Targets Hookers”, Orlando Sentinel, January 29 2000.
- “Orange Makes It Tougher to Shut Down Adult-Entertainment Clubs”, Orlando Sentinel, September 25 2002.
- “2nd Woman Jailed in Massage Case; Former Orange County Resident Arrested on Prostitution-Related Charges”, Orlando Sentinel, April 11 2007.
- “Man Pleads Guilty in Escort Case”, Orlando Sentinel, January 31 2008.
Comments are closed.