Cocoa is a city on the east coast of Florida with a population of around 17,000. The Cocoa Police Department has conducted several street-level reverse stings since 1991 using undercover women officers posing as prostituted persons in order to capture johns. The men arrested have had their names, ages, and hometowns reported in the media. For example, in March 2017, undercover police officers playing the role of both providers and clients seeking commercial sex. The sting/reverse sting was part of a joint undercover operation involving Cocoa and Melbourne police and was focused in and around the area of Peachtree Street in Cocoa. The operation was one of many stings and investigations taking place on the Space Coast over the prior year as agencies focus on various methods of diminishing the sex trade in Brevard County, from online ads to street solicitation of prostitution and sex trafficking.
- Cocoa Police Department
- Special Investigations Unit (http://www.cocoafl.org/index.aspx?NID=576)
- Floridatoday.com, March 17, 2009. Four men arrested in prostitution operation in cocoa.
- Floridatoday.com, January 3, 2008. Two men arrested in prostitution sting.
- Orlando Sentinel, September 8, 1991. Cocoa police arrest 10 in prostitution crackdown.
- https://www.floridatoday.com/undercover-prostitution-related-arrests-carried-out-cocoa (2017)
- http://spacecoastdaily.com/four-suspects-taken-down-in-cocoa-undercover-operation-targeting-prostitution/ (2019)
- https://www.floridatoday.com/four-cocoa-arrested-solicitation-prostitution (2019)