Coffee County is located in south-central Tennessee and has about 53,000 residents. The Coffee County Sheriff’s Office has used both undercover female officers and police informants to apprehend johns soliciting prostituted women since at least 1995, and have done so using web-based reversals since 2008. They have also conducted reverse stings using CB radios since 1995. More recently, a February 2009 sting by the CCSO netted the arrest of a deputy from nearby Putnam County. The john was arrested after arranging to meet an undercover female officer at a motel in the community of Manchester. According to reports, the exchange was videotaped by law enforcement. As is county policy, the man’s name and other information was released to the public.
An online neighborhood watch program is in place for citizens to report if they see men repeatedly in the same areas or find suspicious communication on the internet. They offer a community service program to some of the sex buyers, but it is used rarely for those who are arrested without priors – and most johns fall into that category.
- Coffee County Sheriff’s Office
- Putnam County Sheriff’s Office
- National Assessment Survey and Interview
- Reverse Stings:
- “Deputy Arrested during Prostitution Investigation”, Kingsport Times-News, February 9 2009.
- “Deputy Arrested for Drugs, Soliciting Sex”, Cookeville Herald-Citizen, February 9 2009.