|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Clinton is a city of about 27,000 residents in Hinds County, Mississippi. It is situated in the Jackson metropolitan area, and is the tenth largest city in the state. Prostitution activity has been well-documented in the city and surrounding communities, and in unincorporated areas of Hinds County. This activity and the problems and ancillary crimes it generates result in complaints to law enforcement agencies from residents and businesses. Among the more serious crimes associated with the local prostitution market are human trafficking and violence committed against people involved in these transactions.
Consumer-level demand provides the revenue stream for all prostitution and sex trafficking, and has therefore been targeted by local law enforcement agencies in their strategy for prevention and response. In July 2019, the Clinton Police Department (CPD) announced its first-ever human trafficking operation, conducted with the assistance of the Hinds County Sheriff’s Department. Suspects were identified online as they tried to set up meetings for paid sex, and detectives made 23 arrests – mostly of pimps and sex buyers. The suspects and victims included many who were not primarily local, but came from a wide range of areas. Arrests were made of people from Carthage, Lawrence County, and other states (Oklahoma, Michigan, Florida, and Virginia). One of the arrested sex buyers was from Florida, and had arranged to meet a someone he thought was a14-year-old boy, who was actually an undercover detective; he was charged with felony enticement of a child to meet for sexual purposes. One of the arrested sex buyers was the president of Jackson State University, and subsequently resigned from that position due to his arrest in the sting. Over the prior year, Clinton police and fire department employees had undergone extensive training to identify human trafficking and how to effectively recover victims. In Jackson, the FBI Human Trafficking task force also carried on an operation the same week in July 2019.
- Clinton Police Department
- Hinds County Sheriff’s Department
Web-Based Reverse Stings, Identity Disclosure:
- https://www.wlbt.com/clinton-police-arrest-citys-first-ever-human-trafficking-operation (2019)
- https://www.clarionledger.com/undercover-human-trafficking-operation-leads-more-than-20-arrests (2019)
- https://www.magnoliastatelive.com/major-human-trafficking-prostitution-ring-busted-in-mississippi (2019)
- https://www.wjtv.com/news/human-trafficking-ring-busted-in-hinds-county-breaking (2019)
Sex Buyer Fired or Resigned Due to Arrest:
- https://www.bostonglobe.com/university-leader-resigns-after-bust-prostitution-sting (2020)
- https://www.insidehighered.com/university-president-resigns-after-prostitution-sting (2020)
- https://abc7ny.com/university-president-resigns-following-arrest-in-prostitution-sting (2020)
- https://www.ajc.com/news/hbcu-president-arrested-resigns-after-prostitution-bust (2020)
Background on Sex Trafficking and Child Sexual Exploitation in the Area:
- “9 Arrests Linked to Prostitution”, Baton Rouge Advocate, December 19 1989.
- “Alleged Teen Prostitutes Go Free”, Baton Rouge Advocate, December 31 1989.
- “Minor Arrested in Prostitution Bust”, NBC/WLBT-TV 3, January 5 2005.
- “Officer: Slain Jackson Teen Had Sex with Police”, Jackson Clarion Ledger, March 10 2010.
- “Dozens Arrested in Metro Sex Trafficking Rings”, NBC/WLBT-TV 3, July 30 2013.
- “Two Jackson Residents among Those Accused of Recruiting Two Teens in Child Sex-Trafficking Bust”, Biloxi Sun Herald, June 24 2014.
- “2 Prostitution Suspects from Jackson Appear in Federal Court”, CBS/WJTV-TV 12, June 26 2014.
Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Male Prostitute Must Carry AIDS Warning”, Meriden Record-Journal, February 12 1987.
- “Mississippi Police Say Prostitutes Part of State Ring”, Gadsden Times Daily, March 20 1987.
- “DNA Could Implicate Suspect in Four Jackson Murders”, Biloxi Sun Herald, May 4 1996.
- “Jackson Police Arrest 10 in Prostitution Sting”, Jackson Clarion Ledger, June 25 2000.
- “Jackson Sting Nets 29 Arrests in 2 Days”, Jackson Clarion Ledger, December 15 2004.
- “Police Target Drugs and Prostitution”, NBC/WLBT-TV 3, August 9 2008.
- “Suspected Drug Dealer and Pimp Arrested”, NBC/WLBT-TV 3, August 14 2008.
- “Sheriff Says Prostitution Busts to Continue”, NBC/WLBT-TV 3, December 30 2010.
- “Prostitutes From Other States Hitting Jackson”, NBC/WLBT-TV 3, February 9 2011.
- “Hinds County Deputies Arrest Suspected Out-of-State Prostitutes”, NBC/WLBT-TV 3, February 25 2011.
- “Hinds Sheriff to Conduct Crime Crackdown Operation in Jackson”, NBC/WLBT-TV 3, November 1 2012.
- “Brothel Discover Among Busts in Operation Bunny Hop”, NBC/WLBT-TV 3, March 29 2013.
- https://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/local/hinds/hinds-county-prostitution-sting (2016)
- http://www.wlox.com/story/six-women-arrested-in-prostitution-sting-at-jackson-hotel (2016)
- http://www.msnewsnow.com/story/8-arrested-in-north-jackson-prostitution-bust (2017)
- http://www.msnewsnow.com/story/exclusive-hinds-county-deputies-bust-prostitution-operation-in-jackson (2017)
- http://www.wjtv.com/news/several-arrested-in-hinds-county-prostitution-bust (2017)
- https://www.wlbt.com/hinds-co-judge-suspended-fined-intervening-cases-help-out-acquaintances (2019)
Documented Violence Against Individuals Engaged in Prostitution in the Area: