Glen Dale, WV
|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Glen Dale is a city in Marshall County, West Virginia, located along the Ohio River. It is part of the Wheeling, West Virginia Metropolitan Statistical Area, and the town’s population is approximately 1,500. Prostitution activity has been well-documented in the region, and ancillary crimes it generates complaints to law enforcement agencies. Consumer-level demand provides the revenue stream for all prostitution and sex trafficking, and has therefore been included by local law enforcement agencies in their strategies for prevention and response. For example, in July and August, 2019, eight men were arrested in a prostitution sting in Glen Dale. The Glen Dale Police Department opened an investigation in March, 2019 after seeing a posting by a city woman on a website known for soliciting prostitution. Police began investigating the woman and monitored activity around her house, and began stopping vehicles and questioning potential sex buyers. The first man admitted to engaging in sex with the woman in exchange for money. He agreed to cooperate with police and allowed investigators to look at his cell phone, which showed text messages agreeing to the encounter, along with several other meetings. The woman was arrested and her cell phone searched. The woman had posted her solicitation ads online when her phone was malfunctioning, and she asked one of the men to continue posting her advertisement on the website each day, offering him a discount for her services, according to court documents. Police arrested the woman and used her cell phone to track down potential customers. Police said that one of the numbers was to a phone belonging to a Marshall County State Senator. Based on texts and photos associated with that man’s number, Glen Dale police issued a warrant for the man’s arrest. He turned himself in and was released on $4,500 bond. Police executed a search warrant on the Senator’s vehicle and retrieved his cell phone, which had text messages indicating the two engaged in multiple text conversations and made plans to meet on multiple occasions. The warrant contains explicit text conversations and the two discussed price and length of time for her sexual services. The woman texted that she requires pictures from all her prospective customers. The person police say was the Senator initially refused to send one, but eventually did. Police used that picture taken from the woman’s phone and compared it with the Senator’s driver’s license photo and concluded that both pictures were of the Senator. The pictures and texts led police to arrest him. The man later waived his right to a pre-trial hearing on misdemeanor charges of soliciting prostitution in Glen Dale and would stand trial in the case before a Marshall County Magistrate presiding over the magisterial trial. The sex buyer was charged with conspiracy, “house of ill fame/assignation,” and prostitution after Glen Dale police said he was involved in a sexual relationship with a prostituting woman between mid-May and mid-June, 2019. Police had seized the woman’s phone and found 4,000 text messages from various phone numbers allegedly soliciting sex. Seven other men were charged. The Marshall County Assistant Prosecutor said that during the upcoming discovery phase, investigators planned to view a video interview with the prostituted woman for use in the cases against the Senator and alleged sex buyer.
- Glen Dale Police Department
- Marshall County Magistrate Court
Arrest of Sex Buyers; Identity Disclosure; Cameras:
- http://www.theintelligencer.net/6-arrested-in-prostitution-sting-in-glen-dale/ (2019)
- https://wvmetronews.com/2019/08/29/ (2019)
- https://www.theintelligencer.net/6-arrested-in-prostitution-sting-in-glen-dale/ (2019)
- https://www.weirtondailytimes.com/police-sen-cellphone-linked-accused-prostitute/ (2019)
- https://www.wtrf.com/warrant-filled-for-wv-senators-arrest-in-prostitution-sting/ (2019)
- https://www.theintelligencer.net/maroneys-trial-date-set/ (2019)
- https://www.wvgazettemail.com/maroney-claims-latest-allegations-political-ploy-glen-dale (2020)
Background on Prostitution in the Region:
- “A House That’s Not a Home Is Reminder of City’s Free-Wheeling Past”, The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, August 25 1980.
- “Police, Sheriff Unveil Joint Operation Plan”, The Intelligencer/Wheeling News-Register, January 5 2010.
- “Prostitution on the Rise in Wheeling”, CBS/WTRF-TV 7, June 15 2012.
- http://www.theintelligencer.net/news/community/2017/08/eight-arrested-on-multiple-charges-in-wheeling/ (2017)
- https://wtov9.com/news/local/several-arrested-in-wheeling-for-prostitution-drugs (2017)
- https://www.wtrf.com/archives/several-behind-bars-facing-prostitution-drug-charges-in-wheeling/ (2017)
Comments are closed.