West Haven is located within Weber County, Utah, approximately 35 miles north of Salt Lake City and to the west of the Wasatch Mountains. The city’s population is approximately 16,000 and the municipality was formed by merging the unincorporated communities of Kanesville and Wilson in 1991.
In response to the growing risk of sexual predators due to internet technology and social media, the Weber County Sheriff’s Office conducted a web-based reverse sting operation known as “GG Kisses.” The ultimate goal of the sting was to “target suspects seeking sexual services for the exchange of money, identify any sexual predators, [and] locate any victims of Human Trafficking.” Undercover detectives placed advertisements on websites known for prostitution and waited until potential offenders contacted them. This operation led to the arrest of five men and one woman, all of whom met the undercover officers at a local hotel to complete the exchange of money for sex. News reports included the names and ages of all offenders arrested in the operation.
- Weber County Sheriff’s Office
- Web-based Reverse Sting with Shaming
- https://kutv.com/news/local/prostitution-sting-in-west-haven-results-in-6-arrests (2020)
- https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-news/six-people-arrested-in-west-haven-prostitution-sting (2020)
- https://www.standard.net/6-arrested-in-weber-sheriffs-prostitution-sting/ (2020)
- https://kjzz.com/prostitution-sting-in-west-haven-results-in-6-arrests (2020)
- https://m.facebook.com/WeberCountySheriffsOffice/photos (2020)