|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Wells is a city in Faribault County, Minnesota, with a population of about 2,400. It is located approximately 50 miles south of Minneapolis–Saint Paul. Prostitution and sex trafficking activity have been well-documented in the city and surrounding areas. Consumer level demand provides the revenue stream for all prostitution and sex trafficking, and has therefore been targeted by local law enforcement agencies as a strategy for prevention and response. For example, in December 2017 a reverse sting was conducted in the town of Wells, resulting in the arrest of two men. Wells Police were assisted by the Faribault County Sheriff’s Office and Rochester Police Department. The identities of the arrested sex buyers were released in news reports. Arrested on suspicion of prostitution in a public place, the men were booked into the Faribault County Jail and later released.
- Wells Police Department
- Faribault County Sheriff’s Office
- Rochester Police Department
Reverse Sting, Identity Disclosure:
- www.ktoe.com/2017/12/18/two-arrested-in-wells-prostitution-sting/ (2017)
- www.southernminnesotanews.com/author/cisco-kidd/ (2017)
- http://www.keyc.com/two-men-arrested-following-prostitution-sting (2017)
Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Prostitution Ring Is a Widening Circle”, Rochester Post-Bulletin, April 27 2013.
- “Advertisement Leads to Arrest for Prostitution”, Rochester Post-Bulletin, April 22 2014.
- “Woman Sentenced to Diversion Program”, Rochester Post-Bulletin, April 22 2014.
- “Two Arrested in Prostitution Arrangement”, Rochester Post-Bulletin, May 2 2014.
- “Man Sentenced to 3 Years in Prostitution Case,” Brainerd Dispatch, June 24 2015.
- “Man Gets 7-Year Term for Promoting Prostitution,” Rochester Post-Bulletin, December 2 2015.
- “Man Accused of Trafficking Girls 12, 16, in Minnesota,” Bemidji Pioneer, February 21 2015.
- “Stewartville Man Faces Prostitution Charge,” Rochester Post-Bulletin, January 27 2016.
- “Byron Man Charged with Felony Prostitution,” Rochester Post-Bulletin, April 5 2016.
- https://www.southernminnesotanews.com/minnesota-girls-are-not-for-sale-sex-campaign-snags-6-prostitution-charges/ (2019)
- https://www.desmoinesregister.com/faribault-man-convicted-iowa-child-sex-trafficking-case/ (2019)
- https://krocnews.com/four-more-prostitution-arrests/ (2021)
- https://krocnews.com/rochester-man-charged-with-prostituting-woman/ (2021)