St. Clair Shores, MI
|IT Based Tactics||✓|
St. Clair Shores is a suburban city bordering Lake St. Clair in Macomb County, MI. It forms a part of the Metro Detroit area, and is located approximately 13 miles northeast of downtown Detroit. Its population is approximately 59,000 residents. Prostitution activity has been well-documented in the city and surrounding communities, and in other areas of Macomb County. This activity and the problems and ancillary crimes it generates results in complaints to law enforcement agencies from residents and businesses. Among the more serious crimes associated with the local commercial sex market is sex trafficking. In 2013, it was reported that agencies across Michigan made 307 arrests for prostitution and human trafficking-related crimes, and 409 arrests in 2014. Arrests were made in urban communities around metro Detroit, in impoverished areas such as Benton Harbor and in affluent towns like St. Clair Shores.
Consumer level demand provides the revenue stream for all prostitution and sex trafficking, and has therefore been targeted by local law enforcement agencies as a strategy for prevention and response. A law enforcement respondent to the 2021 National Assessment Survey reported that the following demand reduction tactics have been used in St. Clair Shores: sex buyer arrests (since 1995) and auto seizures. For example, in October 2012, St. Clair Shores police arrested three people on charges of prostitution. A 36 year old man, an 18 year old woman, and a 15-year-old girl from Detroit were arrested in the 19000 block of Salisbury. The man and the woman were charged with prostitution. St. Clair Shores police officers were called to the area after seeing a “suspicious” vehicle just after midnight. When police arrived, they found two women sitting in the vehicle who said that they were waiting for a friend to come out of the home. After questioning, the woman said she was out of money and in need of gas for her vehicle. The man reportedly offered her money in exchange for sex. She went to the man’s home, and was reportedly paid $50 in exchange for sex. The man asked for the 15-year-old to come in the house, and she entered the house and was given $20. The man was charged with prostitution, accosting a child for immoral purposes and prostitution/admitting into a house. The woman was charged with prostitution.
- St. Clair Shores Police Department
Sex Buyer Arrest, Identity Disclosure:
Background on Local Prostitution:
- https://patch.com/stclairshores/police-blotter-man-woman-and-teen-charged-with-prostitution (2012)
- https://patch.com/stclairshores/massage-parlor-locked-down-suspicion-prostitution-human trafficking-stclairshores (2013)
- https://patch.com/macomb-township-message-parlor-investigated-prostitution (2021)
- https://www.radio.com/macomb-twp-massage-parlor-busted-for-alleged-prostitution (2021)
Sex Trafficking and Child Sexual Exploitation in the Area:
- “15 Macomb Residents Nabbed in National Child Prostitution Sweep”, Macomb Daily, July 29 2013.
- https://www.freep.com/prostitution-trafficking-st clair-michigan/ (2016)
- https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/deputies-macomb-couple-kept-special-needs-woman-in-shed-sold-her-for-sex (2017)
- https://www.mlive.com/michigan-couple-sentenced-for-sex-trafficking-disabled-woman-from-shed (2019)
- https://www.clickondetroit.com/southfield-man-sentenced-trafficking-teenage-girl-branding-her-face-tattoo (2022)
Comments are closed.