Boones Mill, VA
|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Boones Mill is a town in Franklin County, Virginia, with a population of 149 at the 2020 census. It is part of the Roanoke Metropolitan Statistical Area. Prostitution and sex trafficking activity throughout Franklin county are well-documented. For example, in 2015, a Franklin County man was sentenced in federal court for forcing a local woman to engage in prostitution through the use of physical violence and threats. The man plead guilty to one count of recruiting, harboring and causing an individual to engage in commercial sex through force, threats of force, fraud and coercion (Human Trafficking) and one count of using interstate commerce to promote an enterprise involving prostitution.
Consumer level demand provides the revenue stream for all prostitution and sex trafficking, and has therefore been targeted by local law enforcement agencies as a strategy for prevention and response. A law enforcement respondent to the 2021 National Assessment Survey reported that the demand reduction tactic of public education has been used in Boones Mill.
- Franklin County Sheriff’s Office
National Assessment Survey – 2021
Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- http://www.roanoke.com/franklin_county/face-charges-related-to-prostitution (2013)
- http://www.thefranklinnewspost.com/area-women-charged-with-prostitution/article (2013)
- https://www.wsls.com/news/franklin-county-man-sentenced-on-human-trafficking-charges (2015)
- http://www.chathamstartribune.com (2015)
Comments are closed.