|IT Based Tactics||✓|
South Hackensack is a township of approximately 2,000 residents, located near Hackensack in Bergen County, New Jersey. Like many communities in the vicinity, the township has dealt with ongoing problems related to prostitution and drug sales at hotels and other businesses along its Route 46 corridor. At least two cases of child sex trafficking have been documented, as have cases of prostituted persons being raped.
To address the issue, the South Hackensack Police Department has conducted at least two street-level reverse stings, in 1997 and 2004. Both operations sent female law enforcement officers undercover as decoys to walk along “troubled” stretches of Route 46, and apprehend men as they solicited sex from the officers. While local media outlets publicized the names of those arrested, it is unclear whether or not the information was formally released by the SHPD.
- South Hackensack Police Department
- Teaneck Police Department
Street-Level Reverse Stings, Identity Disclosure:
- “Rte. 46 Prostitution Sting Leads to Arrest of 8 Men”, Bergen County Record, September 7 1997.
- “Prostitution Sting Nets 17 Arrests on Route 46”, Bergen County Record, May 9 2004.
Sex Trafficking and Child Sexual Exploitation in the Area:
- “Runaway Girl, 14, Found at Motel”, Bergen County Record, July 17 1997.
- “South Hackensack Police Rescue Prostitute, 16, Charge Female Pimp with Human Trafficking”, Cliffview Pilot, October 2 2014.
- “Undercover Cops in South Hackensack Rescue Teen Girl who Was Forced into Prostitution”, Newsday, October 4 2014.
- “5 Indicted on Human Trafficking Charges for Allegedly Pimping Teenage Girl,” Newark Star-Ledger, April 14 2015.
- “Crackdown on Sex Trade on Rte. 46 in South Hackensack,” Bergen County Record, April 19 2015.
- “South Hackensack Police Arrest Man in Human Trafficking Case,” Bergen County Record, October 16 2015.
- https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/bergen/south-hackensack/prostitution-ringleader-pleads-guilty-human-trafficking (2017)
Documented Violence Against Individuals Engaged in Prostitution in the Area:
- “New Jersey Suspect, 31, Is Indicted as the Murderer of Three Women”, New York Times, August 15 1980.
- “Hackensack Man Sentenced to 17 Years for Raping Prostitutes”, Bergen County Record, January 18 2013.
Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “SHELTER; A Time Limit on Motel Stays Hits Welfare Families Hard”, New York Times, March 3 1996.
- “Clean Sweep in South Hackensack? A $100m Make-over Town May Tear Down Seedy Route 46 Strip”, Bergen County Record, October 12 1996.
- “Man Held on Charges in Prostitution Case”, Bergen County Record, October 31 1996.
- “Two Arrested on Prostitution, Drug Charges in S. Hackensack”, Bergen County Record, March 18 2003.
- “Crackdown on Rte. 46 Results in 56 Arrests”, Bergen County Record, July 18 2003.
- “Highway of Cheap Thrills”, Bergen County Record, January 8 2006.
- “SHPD Arrests Five in Prostitution Operation”, Bergen County Record, March 7 2008.
- “South Hackensack Cops Crack Prostitution Den”, Bergen County Record, October 2 2008.
- “South Hackensack Cracks Down on Prostitution”, Bergen County Record, October 7 2011.