Salisbury is a city of approximately 34,000 residents, located in central North Carolina’s Rowan County. Prostitution and the sex trafficking of minors have been reported in the area, and members of the community have complained to law enforcement about prostitution-related activities.
In an effort to reduce demand for commercial sex, the Salisbury Police Department has conducted reverse stings. For example, in June 2014, the SPD conducted a small street-level reversal in the city following complaints from residents in the Fulton Heights, Mitchell and Maupin Avenue areas. After several individuals in the neighborhood reported that a man “had been approaching women from the ages of 12 to 74 offering to pay them for sex,” the Salisbury Police Department deployed two undercover female officers to the area. When the sex buyer approached one of the decoys and offered her $30 for sex, he was arrested. His name, age, address, and arrest photo were publicized in local media outlets.
In February 2018, the Rowan County Sheriff’s Office responded to a shooting call in the 200 block of Farm House Road. When deputies arrived, a man was found with a gun shot wound to the leg, and a second man was identified as the suspect in the shooting. The man was initially charged with assault with a deadly weapon with the intent to kill, discharging a firearm into occupied property, and solicitation of prostitution. In court in 2021, the defendant pleaded no contest to one count of solicitation of prostitution. All other charges in the case were dismissed. His identity was included in news reports.
- Rowan County Sheriff’s Office
- Salisbury Police Department
Arrest and Shaming of Sex Buyer:
- https://www.wcnc.com/article/news/crime/person-shot-in-leg-after-meetup-for-sex-rowan-co-deputies-say/275-512431844 (2018)
- https://www.wbtv.com/2021/01/05/assault-with-deadly-weapon-charges-dismissed-georgia-man-charged-rowan-county-shooting-incident/ (2021)
Street-Level Reverse Stings and Shaming:
- “Prostitution Sting”, Salisbury Post, May 6 2005.
- “Prostitution Sting Nets 6; Complaints by Neighbors in Sedgefield Acres Prompt Police Action”, Salisbury Post, May 6 2005.
- “Arrests Made in Prostitution Undercover Operation”, Salisbury Post, November 3 2007.
- “Man Arrested for Trying to Buy Sex from Undercover Officer in Salisbury”, CBS/WBTV-TV 3, June 6 2014.
- “Police: Man Tried to Pay Undercover Officer for Sex in Fulton Heights”, Salisbury Post, June 6 2014.
- Sex Trafficking and Child Sexual Exploitation in the Area:
- “Prosecutor Says Suspect May Have Infected Three Teens”, Salisbury Post, April 10 2002.
- “Testimony: Man Advised Teens on Prostitution”, Salisbury Post, April 11 2002.
- “Man Guilty of Promoting Prostitution”, Salisbury Post, April 12 2002.
- “Indecent Liberties Charge Filed”, Salisbury Post, March 25 2011.
- “Authorities: 53-Year-Old Asked Teenager for Sex Acts”, Salisbury Post, July 9 2012.
- Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Prostitution Charges Filed against Three”, Salisbury Post, September 28 2006.
- “Lafayette Street Woman Found Guilty of Loitering for Prostitution”, Salisbury Post, October 26 2006.
- “Prostitution”, Salisbury Post, August 23 2007.
- “Two Women Arrested and Charged with Prostitution”, Salisbury Post, November 2 2007.
- “3 Arrested in Prostitution Sting”, Salisbury Post, December 2 2009.
- “3 Naked People Face Multiple Charges”, Salisbury Post, June 6 2010.
- “Two Charged with Prostitution”, Salisbury Post, August 9 2010.
- “Woman Charged with Prostitution”, Salisbury Post, June 18 2011.
- “Woman Charged with Prostituting for Gas”, Salisbury Post, July 21 2011.