Plymouth is a town in Litchfield County, Connecticut, and has a population of roughly 12,000. Prostitution and sex trafficking activity have been well-documented in the city and surrounding communities, and in other areas of Litchfield County. This activity and the problems and ancillary crimes it generates results in complaints to law enforcement agencies from residents and businesses.
In February, 2018 police arrested two suspects involved with prostitution at a motel in Plymouth. A 51-year old man was charged with one count of patronizing a prostitute and a 24-year-old woman was charged with one count of prostitution. Their identities were included in news releases. The defendants had allegedly met on a website that caters to “sugar daddies” and “sugar babies,” before they were arrested at the Plymouth motel. While investigating an unrelated incident, an officer checking the parking lot at the motel saw a man who appeared about 60 years old and a young looking female outside the motel. Believing the female may have been a minor who was involved in human trafficking, the officer decided to investigate. The two people got into a pickup truck and fled. The officer pulled the vehicle over not far from the motel, and upon further investigation, found that the man allegedly paid for the motel room and gave the woman $150 for an unspecified sex act. The woman, who was an adult, was found with that amount in her purse, according to police.
In October 2018, police responded to an incident involving prostitution that turned into a violent robbery. A woman allegedly kicked a 31-year-old sex buyers while another man, brandishing a knife, punched him in the face several times and robbed him at a motel on Main Street in Plymouth. The woman faced charges of first-degree robbery, conspiracy to commit first-degree robbery, third-degree assault and prostitution. The male accomplice was not apprehended. Their identities were included in news releases. The assault victim was taken to Waterbury Hospital after the attack, and was charged with one count of patronizing a prostitute. He told police he met the woman at a McDonald’s in Bristol before they went to the Plymouth Motor Lodge, where they planned to exchange money for sex. Once there, the woman left their room and returned with a man he did not recognize, assaulted him, and took about $200 and his prescription medication.
- Plymouth Police Department
- Bristol Police Department
Arresting Sex Buyer, Shaming:
- https://www.rep-am.com/local/news-local/2018/10/30/prostitution-robbery-leads-to-2-arrests-in-plymouth/ (2018)
- http://www.bristolpress.com/police-arrest-bristol-woman-seek-another-suspect-prostitution-in-plymouth-turned-violent-robbery (2018)
- https://www.rep-am.com/local/news-local/2018/02/13/police-arrest-2-in-plymouth-on-charges-of-prostitution/ (2018)
- http://www.bristolpress.com/BP-Bristol+News/321300/plymouth-police-arrest-two-people-on-prostitution-charges-who-met-on-sugar-daddy-site (2018)
- http://www.bristolpress.com/BP-Plymouth+News/324765/man-charged-in-plymouth-prostitution-bust-will-not-be-prosecuted (2018)