Marshall County is located in Indiana, and has a population of about 47,000. The county seat is Plymouth. Prostitution and sex trafficking activity have been well-documented in the city and surrounding communities, and in unincorporated areas of Marshall County. This activity and the problems and ancillary crimes it generates results in complaints to law enforcement agencies from residents and businesses. Efforts to address these crimes have included operations designed to apprehend sex buyers. For example, in August, 2017 a pastor was arrested during a sting in Marshall County that involved three informants working with police. The man was charged with patronizing a prostitute and other offenses. He was booked into the Marhsall County Jail on a $60,000 cash bond. The man’s identity was included in news releases. He later pleaded guilty to two counts and was sentenced to two years in Marshall County Community Corrections. The charges were for dealing in a schedule II controlled substance (level 6 felony); and patronizing a prostitute (class A misdemeanor). Six other charges were dropped as part of a plea agreement.
The offender had been the director of “Care and Share Ministries,” a nonprofit aimed at helping provide emergency shelter for families in crisis. One of the informants was a recovering opiate addict who attended “Care and Share,” but the man exploited his role to take advantage of those in vulnerable circumstances. Initially helpful, the man began asking for sex in return for his financial assistance. The woman contacted authorities and agree to be wired to document her interaction with the offender, who showed up at the door naked and offered her money and drugs for sex. She was able to get the interaction on tape, leaving the house with money and drugs. The two other informants also came forward, leading to the plea agreement and the two-year sentence.
- Marshall County Sheriff’s Office
Reverse Sting, Shaming:
- https://www.wibc.com/news/local-news/former-plymouth-pastor-sentenced-after-prostitution-sting (2018)
- https://www.newsnowwarsaw.com/plymouth-pastor-arrested-connection-prostitution/ (2018)
- http://am1050.com/2017/jim-irwin-arrested-on-prostitution-drug-charges/ (2018)
- https://www.abc57.com/news/marshall-co-man-arrested-for-allegedly-promoting-prostitution-dealing-drugs (2018)
- https://wsbt.com/news/local/plymouth-man-faces-charges-related-to-drugs-and-prostitution (2018)
- https://www.wndu.com/content/news/Former-Plymouth-pastor-in-court-on-drug-and-prostitution-charges-476093303.html (2018)