Plattsburgh is a city of just under 20,000 residents, located in the northeastern corner of New York state in Clinton County. On at least one occasion, law enforcement have taken steps to reduce demand for commercial sex locally. In October 2016, New York State Police arrested 10 men on solicitation charges following an undercover investigation. Though the details of the sting were not made public, a NYSP representative reported that those arrested had “allegedly approached and negotiated to have sexual contact for money with women they believed were prostitutes but were actually undercover investigators.” Following their arrests, the men’s identities were publicized in select media outlets.
- New York State Police
- Plattsburgh Police Department
- Plattsburgh Town Court
- Clinton County District Attorney’s Office
- Reverse Stings:
- “Police: 10 Solicited Sex,” Plattsburgh Press-Republican, October 13 2016.
- “10 Men Arrested in Plattsburgh Prostitution Sting; Suspects Each Charged with Patronizing a Prostitute,” NBC/WPTZ-TV 5, October 13 2016.
- http://www.mymalonetelegram.com/mtg01/chateaugay-man-arrested-in-plattsburgh-area-prostitution-investigation-20161013 (2016)
- http://www.mychamplainvalley.com/news/two-plattsburgh-men-arrested-in-prostitution-sting/688816302 (2017)
- Background on Local Sex Trafficking and Prostitution:
- http://www.mychamplainvalley.com/news/prostitution-child-sex-trafficking-in-the-north-country/648920034 (2017)