|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Avon is a town of fewer than 10,000 residents, located about 24 miles south of Rochester in Livingston County, New York. Prostitution activity has been well-documented within the county, including in Avon, and the problems and ancillary crimes it generates results in complaints to law enforcement agencies. Among the more serious crimes associated with the local commercial sex market is sex trafficking.
Consumer level demand provides the revenue stream for all prostitution and sex trafficking, and has therefore been targeted by local law enforcement agencies as a strategy for prevention and response. On at least one occasion, law enforcement has staged a proactive demand reduction operation in the community. In October 2016, New York State Police conducted a sting targeting individuals attempting to solicit prostitution on social media sites and arranged to meet potential sex buyers and prostituted persons in Avon. Four men and five women were arrested as a result of the operation. One of the arrestees was a minor under the age of 18. Each of the men was charged with third-degree “patronizing a prostitute.” All the arrestees– except the minor girl– had their names, ages, and other identifying information publicized in the press.
- New York State Police
Web-based Reverse Stings with Identity Disclosure:
- https://www.thelcn.com/prostitution-sting-nets-10-in-avon (2016)
- https://13wham.com/10-arrested-in-livingston-co-prostitution-sting (2016)
- https://www.democratandchronicle.com/state-police-prostitution-sting (2016)
Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- ttps://geneseesun.com/undercover-operation-arrests-caledonia-woman-for-prostitution (2017)
- https://www.thelcn.com/rochester-woman-facing-prostitution-other-charges-in-geneseo (2018)
- https://geneseesun.com/rochester-woman-in-geneseo-arrested-after-calling-911-on-herself-for-prostitution/ (2018)
Sex Trafficking and Child Sexual Exploitation in the Area: