Nixa is a small city of approximately 19,000 residents, located south of Springfield in Christian County, Missouri. At least one reverse sting has been conducted in the city.
In August 2013, officers from the Nixa Police Department, Christian County Sheriff’s Office and Combined Ozarks Multi-jurisdictional Enforcement Team (COMET) conducted a web sting. Although the details on the operation remain limited, media reports stated that Nixa Police and COMET agents contacted sheriff’s deputies for their assistance. The team then set up an undercover investigation into web-based prostitution in a room at a local hotel. Seven people were arrested as a result of the operation, including three sex buyers. On September 10, 2013, the men were charged with patronizing prostitution. All three has their names and other identifying information publicized in local media outlets.
- Web-Based Reverse Stings:
- “7 Arrested for Prostitution in Nixa”, KTTS 94.7 FM, August 26 2013.
- “7 Arrested in Prostitution Case, Nixa News Release Says”, Springfield News-Leader, August 26 2013.
- “Seven Arrested in Nixa Prostitution Sting”, NBC/KYTV-TV 3, August 26 2013.
- “Seven Arrested in Nixa Prostitution Sting”, Nixa Press, August 26 2013.
- “Nixa Police: ‘Special Operation’ Prostitution Case Ends in 7 Arrests”, Springfield News-Leader, August 27 2013.
- “Nixa Prostitution Sting May Shed Light on Problem of Sex Trafficking”, NBC/KYTV-TV 3, August 27 2013.
- “Police Warn Prostitutes Can Secretly Sell Sex in Ozarks Neighborhoods”, ABC/KSPR-TV 33, August 28 2013.
- “No Charges Filed After Prostitution Sting in Nixa”, Springfield News-Leader, August 30 2013.
- “Charges Filed in Prostitution Scheme”, Christian County Headliner, September 17 2013.