|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Kenner is a city of approximately 67,000 residents, located 20 minutes west of New Orleans in Jefferson Parish, Louisiana. Prostitution and sex trafficking have been documented in the city. A man who killed two prostituted women took at least one victim in Kenner. The Kenner Police Department routinely targets individuals soliciting sex online. In its efforts, it has conducted several web stings utilizing sites like Craigslist and Backpage.com to post decoy advertisements and arrange meetings with the johns who reply. On occasion, Kenner police have also conducted street-level reverse stings, although they report that the majority of the city’s commercial sex transactions now begin online. To discourage sex buyers, the KPD may release the names, photos, and addresses of arrestees.
- Reverse Stings:
- Web Stings:
- Sex Trafficking and Child Sexual Exploitation in the Area:
- Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Police Rethink Deaths in Houma, Kenner”, Baton Rouge Advocate, May 2 2005.
- “Suspected Serial Killer Arrested in Houma”, Houma Courier, December 2 2006.
- “Kenner Body Identified as That of Ex-Prostitute, Drug Addict”, New Orleans Times-Picayune, September 11 2007.
- “Suspect Confesses to Kenner Homicide”, New Orleans Times-Picayune, September 13 2007.
- “Woman Found Dead at Kenner Motel Was Strangled”, CBS/WWL-TV 4, August 23 2011.
- “Kenner Police Find Victim’s Belongings in Bridge Jumper’s Car”, New Orleans Times-Picayune, August 25 2011.
- “Police: Man Had Murder on His Mind; Woman Killed, Cleaned, Posed in Kenner Motel”, New Orleans Times-Picayune, August 26 2011.
- “As Prostitution Moves to the Internet, Women Are Even More at Risk”, New Orleans Times-Picayune, August 28 2011.
- “Kenner Man Accused of Posing as a Cop to Extort Sex and Money from Prostitute”, New Orleans Times-Picayune, August 29 2011.
- “Mississippi River Body Identified as Suspect in Murder of 2 Prostitutes”, New Orleans Times-Picayune, August 31 2011.