|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Jacksonville is a city of about 13,000 residents located in Calhoun County, Alabama. It is included in the Anniston-Oxford Metropolitan Statistical Area. Prostitution and sex trafficking have been well-documented in the area for decades, and one of the ways in which local law enforcement has attacked the problem is to target consumer level demand for commercial sex. For example, in October 2021, members of the East Alabama Human Trafficking Task Force conducted a sting that resulted in 11 arrests for solicitation of prostitution. The joint operation included approximately 20-25 officers from surrounding police departments and the Calhoun County Sheriff’s Office, and the Jacksonville Police Department utilized ten officers to assist with the operation. Officers set up accounts on various online platforms and presented themselves as prostituted women. The individuals arrested had contacted one or more of the accounts and set up meetings at a motel in Jacksonville. When they arrived and enough evidence was collected by officers, they were taken into custody and brought to the Calhoun County Jail. Individuals arrested were from Calhoun County and surrounding counties. Soliciting prostitution is a class A misdemeanor in Alabama, and if convicted, defendants could be sentenced to up to one year in jail and $6,000 in fines.
- Calhoun County Sheriff’s Office
- Jacksonville Police Department
- East Metro Area Crime Center
- East Alabama Human Trafficking Task Force
- Calhoun County Jail
Web-Based Reverse Sting:
- https://www.newsbreak.com/police-conduct-soliciting-prostitution-sting-in-jacksonville (2021)
- https://calhounjournal.com/police-conduct-soliciting-prostitution-sting-in-jacksonville (2021)
Background on Prostitution and Sex Trafficking in the Area:
- “12 Arrested in Anniston Prostitution Investigation”, Anniston Star, June 27 2007.
- https://www.al.com/spotnews/calhoun_county_man_charged_wit (2011)
- https://www.al.com/news/anniston-gadsden/oxford_police_nab_14_in_prosti (2014)
- https://abc3340.com/archive/oxford-police-arrest-14-individuals-for-prostitution (2014)
- https://www.annistonstar.com/news/8-women-plead-guilty-in-oxford-prostitution-sting-charges-against-4-men-dropped (2015)
- https://www.annistonstar.com/news/anniston/human-trafficking-case-sent-to-grand-jury (2019)
Comments are closed.