Calhoun County, AL
|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Calhoun County is a county in the east central part of the U.S. state of Alabama. As of the 2020 census, the population was just over 116,000. Its county seat is Anniston (a city of about 21,000 residents), located at roughly the midpoint between Atlanta and Birmingham, along the Interstate 20 corridor. Community complaints play a role in police addressing prostitution. At least one reverse sting has been conducted in the city of Anniston, in 2007. That operation resulted in the arrest of 12 sex buyers, who were charged with Class A misdemeanors. In Jacksonville, a city of about 12,500 residents located in Calhoun County, members of the East Alabama Human Trafficking Task Force conducted a prostitution sting in October, 2021 that resulted in 11 arrests for solicitation of prostitution. Soliciting prostitution is a class A misdemeanor in Alabama and if convicted defendants may be sentenced up to one year in jail and $6,000 in fines. The Calhoun County Sheriff’s Office collaborates with other local agencies in such operations.
- Calhoun County Sheriff’s Office
- Calhoun/Cleburne County Drug and Violent Crime Task Force
- Calhoun County Jail
- Jacksonville Police Department
- East Metro Area Crime Center
- East Alabama Human Trafficking Task Force
- Calhoun County Jail
Web Based Reverse Sting:
- https://www.newsbreak.com/police-conduct-soliciting-prostitution-sting-in-jacksonville (2021)
- https://calhounjournal.com/police-conduct-soliciting-prostitution-sting-in-jacksonville/ (2021)
Background on Prostitution and Sex Trafficking in the Area:
- “12 Arrested in Anniston Prostitution Investigation”, Anniston Star, June 27 2007.
- https://www.al.com/spotnews/2011/02/calhoun_county_man_charged_wit.html (2011)
- https://www.al.com/news/anniston-gadsden/oxford_police_nab_14_in_prosti (2014)
- https://abc3340.com/archive/oxford-police-arrest-14-individuals-for-prostitution (2014)
- https://www.annistonstar.com/news/8-women-plead-guilty-in-oxford-prostitution-sting-charges-against-4-men-dropped (2015)
- https://www.annistonstar.com/news/anniston/human-trafficking-case-sent-to-grand-jury (2019)
Comments are closed.