Hollywood is a city of 141,000 in Broward County, southeast Florida. To combat street prostitution, certain areas in the city have been isolated for reverse stings to capture johns. Operations are staged at scheduled intervals every month using an undercover female officer as a decoy. To determine the location of reverse sting operations, the Hollywood Police Department relies on ongoing complaints from the community. Following arrest, officers use a two-pronged strategy of auto seizure and home letter delivery to deter arrested johns from reoffending in the future. It was first implemented in 1997.
- Reverse Stings:
- “Prostitution Sting Snares Sheriff’s Detention Officer”, Miami Herald, August 6 1988.
- “New Crackdown on Broward Prostitution”, Miami Herald, August 29 1997.
- “City Manager’s Weekly Report: March 13 – March 19 2012”, Hollywood Police Department, March 19 2012.
- “Police Arrest 21 People in Hollywood Prostitution Sting”, Fort Lauderdale Sun Sentinel, May 24 2012.
- SOAP Orders:
- Auto Seizure (Discontinued):
- Sex Trafficking in the Area:
- “FBI Raiding ‘Body-Rub’ Joints in Booming South Florida Massage Industry”, Fort Lauderdale Sun Sentinel, November 24 2012.
- “Sex Trafficking: Hallandale Couple Accused of Prostituting Captive Women, Fort Lauderdale Sun Sentinel, December 22 2012.
- “Broward Judge Sets $30,000 Bond for Man Charged with Human Trafficking”, NBC/WTVJ-TV 6, June 28 2013.
- “Man Beat Homeless Woman, Forced Her into Prostitution, Authorities Say”, Fort Lauderdale Sun Sentinel, June 28 2013.
- “Alleged Pimp on Trial for Kidnapping, Beating Prostitute”, Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel, September 16 2014.
- “Hollywood Man Faces Up to a Life Term for Prostitution Conviction,” CBS Miami, September 22, 2014.
- Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Weekly Report: January 10 – January 16 2012”, Hollywood Police Department, January 16 2012.
- “Weekly Report: April 10 – April 16 2012”, Hollywood Police Department, April 16 2012.