Gretna is a city of approximately 18,000 residents, located just east of and across the Mississippi River from New Orleans in Jefferson Parish, Louisiana. Problems with prostitution and sex trafficking have been reported in the area. In 2004, a man kidnapped, held hostage and attempted to compel his former girlfriend into prostitution in the city. In 2013, local law enforcement utilized an undercover male officer to identify and arrest three individuals who had been arranging to meet with johns in Gretna and then robbing them.
In addition to efforts targeting sellers of sex, the Gretna Police Department has conducted at least two street-level reverse stings. Both operations were conducted in the late 1990s, and employed undercover female officers as decoys. To our knowledge, the names of the johns arrested during these stings were not released.
- Gretna Police Department
- Street-Level Reverse Stings:
- “Men Booked on Sex Charges”, New Orleans Times-Picayune, November 2 1994.
- “Gretna Police Sting Nabs 19; Prostitution Clients Targeted”, New Orleans Times-Picayune, May 28 1997.
- Sex Trafficking and Child Sexual Exploitation in the Area:
- “Teens Booked on Sex Charges”, New Orleans Times-Picayune, September 19 1991.
- “Ex-Boyfriend Holds Woman, Police Say”, Baton Rouge Advocate, August 5 2004.
- “Man Releases Kidnapped Former Girlfriend”, Baton Rouge Advocate, August 6 2004.
- “Gretna Woman Abducted, Held by Former Boyfriend”, Lake Charles American Press, August 5 2004.
- Documented Violence against Individuals Engaged in Prostitution in the Area:
- “JPSO Arrests Man in Rape, Attempted Murder of Marrero Woman”, New Orleans Times-Picayune, June 17 2013.
- “Alleged Prostitute Sets Out to Rob Customer; Customer Turns Out to Be Gretna Cop on Sting”, New Orleans Times-Picayune, July 22 2013.
- “Gretna Police Foil Robbery Plans by Internet Escort and Friends, ‘Customer’ Was an Undercover Cop”, New Orleans Times-Picayune, July 23 2013.
- “In a Jefferson Parish Courtroom, Former Marrero Prostitute Describes Beating and Sexual Assault”, New Orleans Times-Picayune, April 9 2014.
- “Gretna Man Guilty of Rape, Prostitute Was Attacked in 2012”, New Orleans Times-Picayune, April 9 2014.
- “Gretna Man Sentenced to 60 Years for Beating, Raping Prostitute”, New Orleans Times-Picayune, April 17 2014.
- Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Arrests Continue at Store”, New Orleans Times-Picayune, September 30 1989.
- “Gretna May Ban Hourly-Rate Hotels”, New Orleans Times-Picayune, August 7 1991.
- “Gretna Probing Prostitute-Cop Link”, New Orleans Times-Picayune, July 25 1997.
- “Couple Accused of Running Brothel Out of Gretna Home”, New Orleans Times-Picayune, October 2 2012.