|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Franklin Park is a village of 18,000 residents near Chicago in Cook County, Illinois. One of the key prostitution problems in the city is street prostitution occurring along Mannheim Road, a major “stroll” cutting through several suburbs of Chicago.
Since at least 1996, the Franklin Park Police Department has collaborated with the Cook County Sheriff’s Office to conduct street-level reverse stings using undercover women officers as decoys. Such stings have been deployed in areas known for prostitution, drug trafficking, and gang activity. At times reversals have been conducted in parallel with other operations targeting providers of commercial sex.
In October 2014, the Franklin Park Herald-Journal reported that the FPPD had completed its first “independent” reversal (i.e., without the assistance of the CCSO). The operation, conducted by a FPPD tactical unit along Mannheim Road, resulted in the arrest of four sex buyers in a three-hour period. Following their arrests, all of the men’s names, ages, and addresses were released to the public.
- Franklin Park Police Department
- Cook County Sheriff’s Office
Street-Level Reverse Stings, Identity Disclosure:
- https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm (1993)
- “Des Plaines Man among 39 Arrested in West Suburban Prostitution Sting,” Arlington Heights Daily Herald, October 29 1996.
- “Five Arrested in FP Prostitution Sting,” Franklin Park Herald-Journal, April 12 2000.
- “Resident Nabbed in Prostitution Sting on Mannheim,” Melrose Park Herald, July 25 2001.
- “Stripping ‘Sin Strip’,” Franklin Park Herald-Journal, July 25 2001.
- “Five Arrested July 14 in Prostitution Sting,” Franklin Park Herald-Journal, July 21 2004.
- “Four Bitten in Prostitution Sting,” Franklin Park Herald-Journal, September 1 2004.
- “26 Arrested in Mannheim Road Prostitution Sting,” Franklin Park Herald-Journal, July 8 2010.
- “Mannheim Road Prostitution Sting Nets 27 Arrests,” Franklin Park Herald-Journal, February 16 2012.
- “78-Year-Old Man among Four Arrests in Mannheim Road Prostitution Sting,” Franklin Park Herald-Journal, October 22 2014.
- https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/franklin-park/ct-fhj-sex-worker-advocacy (2021)
Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “3 Convicted of Operating Brothel Here,” Chicago Sun-Times, July 25 1989.
- “Village Hopes Lawsuit Curbs Lido Problems,” Franklin Park Herald-Journal, December 9 2010.
- “Village Board Increases Fines for Prostitution,” Franklin Park Herald-Journal, February 27 2014.