Fountain Valley is a city of 55,000 in Orange County, California. Local residents and law enforcement have reported problems related to prostitution in the city for over a decade. In addition, at least one serial rapist who specifically targeted prostituted women has operated in the city.
In an effort to reduce the size of the city’s commercial sex market, the Fountain Valley Police Department has conducted reverse stings. Operations have been staged both at street level, and from within adult-oriented businesses (e.g., day spas, massage parlors). In 2010, for example, the FVPD conducted a sting operation at a day spa that was a front for prostitution. First, undercover officers were sent into the spa to arrest the employees engaged in providing commercial sex. Then, undercover detectives operated the spa and made arrangements with “customers.” When four men arrived and offered money for sex, they were charged with soliciting prostitution.
- Street-Level Reverse Stings:
- “Sting Nets 19 Prostitution Arrests; Crime: The 10-Hour Operation Targeted the Area of Harbor Boulevard and Lilac Avenue”, Orange County Register, June 7 2001.
- “Police Blotter; Prostitution Sting Yields Six Arrests at Tanning Salon”, Orange County Register, December 27 2001.
- “Fountain Valley Police Blotter; Prostitution Sting Rounds Up Three Dozen Suspects”, Fountain Valley View, October 14 2004.
- “4 Arrested in Prostitution Sting in Fountain Valley”, Orange County Register, December 20 2010.
- “Prostitution Sting Yields 4 Arrests at Day Spa”, Orange County Register, December 21 2010.
- https://patch.com/california/fountainvalley/fountain-valley-men-arrested-in-prostitution-sting (2013)
- Documented Violence against Individuals Engaged in Prostitution in the Area:
- “Man Arrested after Waving ‘Gun,’ Demanding Sex”, Fountain Valley View, September 18 2008.
- “From the Web Files; Readers Speak Out on Man Threatening Prostitute with ‘Gun'”, Fountain Valley View, September 25 2008.
- “Man Pleads Guilty to Threatening Prostitute with ‘Gun'”, Fountain Valley View, September 25 2008.
- “Man Guilty of Trying to Rape Prostitute at Knifepoint”, Orange County Register, February 16 2012.
- “Man Gets 75 Years to Life for Beating, Raping Prostitutes in Santa Ana”, CBS/KCAL-TV 9, November 22 2013.
- “Convicted Rapist who Attacked Prostitutes Is Sentenced”, Fountain Valley Patch, November 23 2013.
- Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Fountain Valley Plans Prostitution Cleanup Using New State Law”, Los Angeles Times, October 10 2002.
- “Fountain Valley Tightening Massage Rules”, Orange County Register, October 16 2002.
- “Fountain Valley Prostitution Sting”, Orange County Register, February 10 2006.