|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Cumberland is a city with a population of approximately 7,200, located in southeastern Maine, just north of Portland. Cases of sex trafficking and other related crimes associated with commercial sex have been documented, including a 2014 case in which a woman was forced to be sold for sex in Cumberland and several other Maine counties, and fled when she learned her traffickers in Maine had been offered $30,000 by traffickers in New York to buy her.
Police have attempted to address the problem by arresting sex buyers. In early 2018 State Police arrested a man at the Cumberland service plaza along the Maine Turnpike. Troopers began their investigation earlier in the week after the man had approached a female worker at the plaza for sex. He was arrested days later after he returned to the service plaza in his tractor trailer for a prearranged meeting with what he thought was going to be a teenage girl. Instead he was met by Troopers. He was charged with patronizing prostitution with a minor and taken to the Cumberland County Jail.
- Cumberland County Sheriff’s Office
- Yarmouth Police Department
- Bridgton Police Department
- Brunswick Police Department
Web Based Reverse Stings, Identity Disclosure:
- https://cm.seacoastonline.com/11 men-arrested-in-alleged-internet-prostitution (2011)
- http://www.wagmtv.com/content/news/Truck-driver-faces-prostitution-charge (2018)
- https://patch.com/nh-trucker-charged-prostitution-minor (2018)
Background on Local Prostitution and Sex Trafficking:
- http://www.pressherald.com/Gorham_police_say_woman_feared_sale_to_a_pimp (2014)
- http://www.sunjournal.com/3-suspects-face-sex-trafficking-charges (2014)
- http://bangordailynews.com/the-life-sex-trafficking-survivors-tell-their-stories-ahead-of-maine-conference/ (2014)
- https://patch.com/new-hampshire/hampton-northhampton/nh-trucker-charged-prostitution-minor (2014)
- https://finance.yahoo.com/news/glastonbury-man-charged-maine-prostitution (2022)
- https://www.cumberlandcounty.org/664/Human-Trafficking-Unit (2022)
Comments are closed.