Coweta County, GA
|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Coweta County is a county of about 150,000 residents in west central Georgia, less than 40 miles southwest of Atlanta. Its county seat is Newnan. Prostitution and sex trafficking, including child sex trafficking, have been documented in the county.
The Coweta County Sheriff’s Office has assisted in local web-based reverse sting operations, often with identity disclosure. For example, in June 2019, ten people were arrested in a prostitution sting at a Newnan hotel. The Coweta County Sheriff’s Office and Homeland Security investigators arrested three men who were charged with being “party to a crime of prostitution.” Their identities were publicly released. In September 2020, the Coweta County Sheriff’s Office arrested 18 people in a prostitution sting in the county. They were assisted in the operation by the Homeland Security Human Trafficking and Child Exploitation Group, Newnan Police Department Vice Unit, Troup County Sheriff’s Office, and Fayetteville Police Department. The two-day operation was conducted at a local hotel and involved law enforcement contacting online ads for prostitution as well as posting their own undercover ads to target men who buy sex. Eighteen people were arrested, including nine men who were charged with pandering. Their names, ages, and hometowns were released to the press.
In February 2022, a sting was conducted by the Coweta County Sheriff’s Office Crime Suppression Unit, along with the Homeland Security Human Trafficking and Child Exploitation Group. The operation resulted in the recovery of a minor sex trafficking victim and two adult victims, as well as 26 arrests for charges including prostitution, pimping, pandering, drugs, weapons, and human trafficking. In November, 2022, a sting operation resulted in the arrest of 14 individuals on a number of charges; some of the arrestees were male sex buyers charged with soliciting prostitution.
- Coweta County Sheriff’s Office
- Crime Suppression Unit
- Homeland Security Human Trafficking and Child Exploitation Group
- Newnan Police Department
- Vice Unit
- Troup County Sheriff’s Office
- Fayetteville Police Department
Web-Based Reverse Stings, Identity Disclosure:
- https://www.fox5atlanta.com/prostitution-sting-in-coweta-county-discovers-victims-of-human-trafficking (2019)
- https://www.wsbtv.com/10-arrested-in-prostitution-bust-at-metro-atlanta-hotel-mugshots (2019)
- https://www.lagrangenews.com/local-childrens-minister-arrested-in-prostitution-sting (2019)
- https://times-herald.com/coweta-prostitution-sting-nets-25-arrests-human-trafficking-victim (2020)
- https://times-herald.com/coweta-prostitution-sting-nets-18-arrests (2020)
- https://times-herald.com/human-trafficking-victims-located-during-prostitution-sting (2022)
- https://www.wsbtv.com/news/prostitution-sting (2022)
- https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/coweta-prostitution-sting (2022)
Background on Sex Trafficking, Child Sexual Exploitation, Prostitution in the Area:
- https://www.11alive.com/coweta-county-sex-sting (2019)
- https://www.ajc.com/arrested-metro-atlanta-prostitution-sting-human-trafficking-victim-rescued (2020)
- https://thestoddardfirm.com/trafficking-victims-coweta-county (2021)
- https://times-herald.com/unlucky-7-individuals-busted-in-prostitution-sting-1 (2022)
- https://www.fox5atlanta.com/man-arrested-for-trafficking-underage-girl-during-coweta-county-prostitution-sting (2022)
Comments are closed.