|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Catonsville is a census-designated place of about 42,000 residents in Baltimore County, Maryland. The community lies to the west of Baltimore, along the city’s border. Prostitution activity has been well-documented in the city and surrounding communities, and in unincorporated areas of Baltimore County. This activity and the problems and ancillary crimes it generates results in complaints to law enforcement agencies from residents and businesses. Among the more serious crimes associated with the local commercial sex market are sex trafficking, child endangerment, and violence committed against people involved in these transactions.
Consumer-level demand provides the revenue stream for all prostitution and sex trafficking, and has therefore been targeted by local law enforcement agencies in their strategy for prevention and response. The Baltimore County Police Department has conducted many reverse stings in an effort to contain or reduce prostitution and sex trafficking in the Catonsville area. For example, a crackdown in 1994 focused on prostitution and trafficking along the Pulaski Highway, and reverse stings conducted over five days resulted in the arrest of 77 sex buyers. The focus on this area of the county continued through 1995, and several additional stings pushed the total of arrested sex buyers to 120. In February 2014, a reverse sting led to the arrest of four sex buyers, including one police officer. The names and other identifiers of the arrestees have been released to news outlets.
- Baltimore County Police Department
Reverse Stings, Identity Disclosure:
- “77 Men Arrested in Crackdown on Pulaski Highway Sex Traffic”, Baltimore Sun, March 28 1994.
- “Taking it to the Street Walkers”, Baltimore Sun, April 1 1994.
- “Pulaski Highway Prostitution Sting Nets 2 Troopers”, Baltimore Sun, April 29 1995.
- “Baltimore City Police Sergeant Arrested in Prostitution Sting”, ABC/WMAR-TV 2, February 20 2014.
- “Baltimore Police Officer, Three Other Men Arrested in Baltimore County Prostitution Sting”, Baltimore Sun, February 20 2014.
- “City Police Sergeant Arrested in Prostitution Sting”, CBS/WJZ-TV 13, February 20 2014.
- “Police Officer Caught Up in Baltimore County Prostitution Sting”, Towson Patch, February 20 2014.
- https://www.baltimoresun.com/bs-md-co-prostitution-charges (2015)
- https://foxbaltimore.com/catonsville-man-charged-with-human-trafficking-offenses (2016)
Background on Sex Trafficking, Child Sexual Exploitation, Prostitution in the Area:
- https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/catonsville man-story (2005)
- “Ohio Man Convicted of Human Trafficking in Maryland”, WBAL-AM 1090, September 19 2013.
- “Ohio Man Sentenced in Balto. Co. Human Trafficking Case”, Baltimore Sun, November 18 2013.
- “Baltimore Man Gets 12 Years for Forcing Young Women into Prostitution”, CBS/WJZ-TV 13, October 1 2014.
- “City Man Sentenced for Running Prostitution Scheme; Travis Foote Given 12 Years by Judge”, NBC/WBAL-TV 11, October 1 2014.
- “Baltimore County Police Charge Two with Human Trafficking Underage Girls,” ABC/WMAR-TV 2, March 19 2015.
- “Documents Detail Baltimore Co. Prostitution Sting at Woodlawn Motel,” Baltimore Sun, March 20 2015.
- https://www.capitalgazette.com/catonsville man forced woman human-trafficking (2016)
- https://patch.com/maryland/prostitution-sting-columbia-nets-3-men-police (2019)
- https://patch.com/catonsville man-arrested-undercover-prostitution-operation-police (2020)
Comments are closed.