Bulloch County, GA
|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Bulloch County is a county of about 78,000 residents, located in southeastern Georgia in the greater Savannah region. Its county seat is Statesboro. Prostitution has been a documented problem in the county, and has generated complaints from residents to law enforcement. Efforts to address the problem have included targeting demand. While the term “pandering” can mean “pimping,” in some Georgia communities, pandering refers to solicitation of sex for pay or buying sex.
Reverse stings and identity disclosure have been used to deter demand in the county. In June 2014, a dozen people were arrested after a two-day web-based sting operation targeting people soliciting prostitution. Statesboro-Bulloch Crime Suppression Team investigators conducted the operation with the cooperation of a local motel in response to public complaints, according to a press release from the Bulloch County Sheriff’s Office. Investigators used a classified Internet advertising website to arrange the transactions, and arrested eleven men who responded to the ads. A woman was also charged with prostitution and keeping a place of prostitution after officers learned of her soliciting sexual encounters at a separate hotel during the course of the investigation. All the sex buyers were charged with pandering, and one faced an additional charge of sexual battery after groping an undercover female officer. The men’s names, ages, and arrest photos were released to the press.
In December 2015, the Statesboro-Bulloch Crime Suppression Team arrested eight people in a reverse prostitution sting targeting sex buyers in the county. Most of the sex buyer transactions were arranged using social media and text messages. Some of the men faced additional charges of obstruction and possession of marijuana. Their names, ages, and hometowns were released to the press. Investigators said operations like this would continue periodically to deter prostitution in Bulloch County.
- Bulloch County Sheriff’s Office
- Statesboro-Bulloch Crime Suppression Team
Web-Based Reverse Stings, Identity Disclosure:
- “12 Arrested in Bulloch County Online Reverse Prostitution Sting,” Statesboro Herald, June 6 2014.
- “12 Charged in Website Prostitution Sting near Savannah”, CBS/WBTW-TV 13, June 6 2014.
- https://www.wtoc.com/story/25712552/12-facing-charges-after-bulloch-co-reverse-prostitution-sting (2014)
- https://allongeorgia.com/bulloch-public-safety/statesboro-bulloch-crime-suppression-team-arrests-8-in-reverse-prostitution-sting (2015)
- https://www.wtoc.com/story/8-arrested-after-prostitution-bust-in-bulloch-county (2015)
- https://www.wjcl.com/article/bulloch-co-investigators-make-arrest-in-prostitution-sting (2020)
Sex Trafficking and Child Sexual Exploitation in the Area:
- https://allongeorgia.com/bulloch-public-safety/three-arrested-in-statesboro-after-undercover-operation-targeting-online-predators (2022)
Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Clito Woman Arrested on Drug and Prostitution Charges”, Statesboro Herald, March 13 2008.
- “Police: Two Fla. Women Arrested on Prostitution, Drug Charges”, Statesboro Herald, October 18 2008.
- “Four Arrested on Prostitution Charges”, Statesboro Herald, January 21 2011.
- “Prostitution Sting Arrests 7”, Statesboro Herald, August 6 2011.
Comments are closed.