Statesboro is a community of about 30,000 resident located in eastern Georgia, in the greater Savannah region. Prostitution is a documented problem in the city, and has generated complaints from residents to the police department. Efforts to address the problem have included targeting demand.
In January 2013, the Statesboro Police Department’s Crime Suppression Unit conducted an undercover prostitution and pandering operation in Statesboro. Eight males were charged with pandering (solicitation of sex for pay), and one female was charged with prostitution. While the term “pandering” can mean “pimping,” in this case and in other Georgia communities, pandering refers to “procuring” or buying sex. The names and ages of the arrestees were included in a police press release. A similar operation in November, 2009 produced 13 arrests.
In June 2014, SPD officers conducted a web-based reverse stings, resulting in the arrest of 11 sex buyers. The men had responded to an internet advertisement posted by undercover officers, and arranged to meet at a local hotel. The SPD distributed the names and mugshots of all of the arrestees to the public, and commented that the hotel cooperated with police for the purposes of the investigation.
- Statesboro Police Department
- Crime Suppression Unit
- Reverse Stings and Shaming:
- “Johns Busted at Local Hotel; 8 Men, 1 Woman Arrested in Sting”, Statesboro Record, January 31 2013.
- “9 Arrests Made in Covert Pandering and Prostitution Sting”, Press Release, Statesboro Police Department, February 1 2013.
- “Nine Arrested in Prostitution Sting”, Statesboro 365, February 1 2013.
- https://www.statesboroherald.com/local/prostitution-pandering-sting-statesboro-pd-nets-13-arrests/ (2019)
- Web-Based Reverse Stings and Shaming:
- Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Clito Woman Arrested on Drug and Prostitution Charges”, Statesboro Herald, March 13 2008.
- “Police: Two Fla. Women Arrested on Prostitution, Drug Charges”, Statesboro Herald, October 18 2008.
- “Four Arrested on Prostitution Charges”, Statesboro Herald, January 21 2011.
- “Prostitution Sting Arrests 7”, Statesboro Herald, August 6 2011.