Ashtabula, Ohio is a city of about 18,000 residents. It is on the southeast shore of Lake Erie, about midway between Cleveland, Ohio and Erie, Pennsylvania. At least seven street-level reverse stings have occurred in Ashtabula, between 2006 and 2015, in response to complaints from the community. Following each operation, the Ashtabula Police Department released the identities of those arrested to the media.
- Ashtabula Police Department
- Special Operations Group
- Ashtabula Municipal Court
Street-Level Reverse Stings with Shaming:
- “Undercover Sting Nets Four ‘Johns'”, Ashtabula Star Beacon, October 30 2006.
- “3 Arrested for Soliciting Prostitutes”, Ashtabula Star Beacon, March 25 2007.
- “Eight ‘Johns’ Nabbed in Sting”, Ashtabula Star Beacon, March 31 2007.
- “Ashtabula Prostitution Sting Targets ‘Johns'”, Ashtabula Star Beacon, September 16 2008.
- “Police Arrest 3 Johns in Prostitution Sting”, Ashtabula Star Beacon, September 25 2008.
- “Third Customer Appears in Court”, Ashtabula Star Beacon, October 30 2008.
- “Police Nab Two Suspects on Prostitution-Related Crimes”, Ashtabula Star Beacon, August 18 2009.
- “Seven Are Arrested in Prostitution Sting,” Ashtabula Star Beacon, October 2 2015.
- “Five Accused ‘Johns’ Appear in Court in Prostitution Case,” Ashtabula Star Beacon, October 6 2015.
Documented Violence against Individuals Engaged in Prostitution in the Area:
- “Charges Pending against Ashtabula Man in Cemetery Assault”, Ashtabula Star Beacon, November 30 2013.
Background on Prostitution in the Area: