|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Ashland is a city of about 21,000 residents located at the northeastern tip of Kentucky along the Ohio and West Virginia borders, near Huntington. Ashland is the largest city in Boyd County. At least one reverse sting has been conducted there, leading to the arrest of two sex buyers. The operation, conducted at street level, employed a female police informant wearing a recording device. As men solicited the decoy, they were arrested by Ashland Police. Following the investigation, both of the men’s names were released to the public.
In April 2014, members of the local media reported that the APD had stepped up police patrols in at least one city neighborhood after residents complained about chronic prostitution in front of their homes and businesses. A police representative noted that the department had issued 17 citations for prostitution-related offenses in 2014, but did not clarify how many (if any) of the citations were given to sex buyers.
In February 2017, five suspects were charged with prostitution following a 10-day undercover sting by Ashland Police. Detectives from the Criminal Investigations Section posted a personal ad on the web. Suspects who responded to the ad and arranged a meeting were arrested upon contact at the location by detectives of the Ashland Police Department. Five people were charged with prostitution, a Class B Misdemeanor.
- Ashland Police Department
Reverse Stings, Identity Disclosure:
- “Cracking Down on Prostitution: Ashland Police Arrest Two Would-Be Johns”, Ashland Daily Independent, September 15 2010.
- “Targeting Johns; Arresting ‘Customer’ Effective Way to Curb Prostitution in the City”, Ashland Daily Independent, September 17 2010.
- https://www.dailyindependent.com/news/local_news/cracking-down-on-prostitution (2010)
- http://www.herald-dispatch.com/_recent_news/charged-with-prostitution-after-sting-in-ashland (2017)
- http://www.wsaz.com/content/news/Five-arrested-in-Ashland-undercover-prostitution-sting (2017)
- https://www.dailyindependent.com/news/face-prostitution-charges-after-apd-undercover-operation (2017)
Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “N.Y. Official Convicted in Prostitution Case”, Ashland Daily Independent, January 4 2009.
- “2 Charged with Prostitution”, Ashland Daily Independent, December 23 2009.
- “Police Arrest 2 Alleged Prostitutes”, Ashland Daily Independent, August 17 2010.
- “Cyber and Vice Crimes Targeted; APD Forms Task Forces to Fight Prostitution, Internet Predators”, Ashland Daily Independent, June 26 2011.
- “Prostitution, Trafficking Reported to the APD”, Ashland Daily Independent, July 1 2011.
- “Woman Charged with Prostitution”, Ashland Daily Independent, March 31 2012.
- “Ashland PD Makes Prostitution Arrest”, Ashland Daily Independent, November 1 2012.
- “Burglaries, Alleged Prostitution Reported to APD”, Ashland Daily Independent, January 8 2013.
- “APD: Prostitution, Theft, Burglary Reported”, Ashland Daily Independent, March 13 2013.
- “APD: Prostitution Suspect Arrested”, Ashland Daily Independent, April 9 2013.
- “2 Arrested for Prostitution in Ashland”, Ashland Daily Independent, April 29 2013.
- “Prostitution Case Ends in Amended Charge, Fines”, Ironton Tribune, May 7 2013.
- “People Frustrated with Prostitution in Ashland, Ky. Neighborhood”, NBC/WSAZ-TV 3, April 9 2014.