Wright County, IA
|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Wright County, Iowa has a population of approximately 13,000 and its county seat is the city of Clarion. Prostitution activity has been well-documented within the county, and the problems and ancillary crimes it generates results in complaints to law enforcement agencies. Consumer level demand provides the revenue stream for all prostitution and sex trafficking, and has therefore been targeted by local law enforcement agencies. Demand reduction tactics used in the county include the arrest of sex buyers and the public disclosure of their identities. For example, in July, 2021, a man received a suspended sentence of jail time in Wright County after pleading not guilty to a charge of prostitution with a minor. He was taken into Wright County Jail for sexually exploiting a 15-year-old girl in September of 2017. He was originally charged with third degree sexual abuse, a Class C felony, which he pleaded not guilty to. A plea agreement was met to change the charge to prostitution with a minor, a Class D felony, which he again pleaded not guilty to, according to court documents. He was sentenced with a suspended five years of prison time, a fine of $750 and a $1,000 human trafficking surcharge. He also was required to pay $172.97 in pecuniary damages for the benefit of the victim, according to court records. A no-contact order was put in place between the victim and the man until 2026, and he will serve a probation period of five years, and must complete sex offender treatment.
- Wright County Sheriff’s Office
Sex Buyer Arrest, Identity Disclosure:
- https://www.radioonthego.com/news/ (2020)
- https://globegazette.com/mason-city-man-prostitution-charges-apparently-soliciting-minor/ (2020)
- https://www.kglonews.com/mason-city-man-pleads-guilty-to-prostitution/ (2021)
- https://globegazette.com/crime-and-courts/mason-city-man-sentenced-pleading-guilty-prostitution-minor (2021)
- https://globegazette.com/mason-city-man-sentenced-in-wright-county-for-prostitution-with-a-minor (2021)
- http://clarionnewsonline.com/sites/default/files/Legals7-22-21.pdf (2021)
Background on Local Prostitution and Sex Trafficking:
Comments are closed.