Winchester is a city of approximately 26,000 residents, located along Virginia’s northwestern border about 25 miles south of Martinsburg, West Virginia. Local law enforcement and residents have reported problems related to prostitution in the city, with activities often concentrated in and around adult-oriented businesses (such as massage parlors).
To address the issue, the Winchester Police Department has conducted at least two stings targeting johns. In summer 2006, officers responded to citizens’ complaints about a spike in prostitution activity in the North Cameron Street area of the city and sent both male and female officers undercover as decoy johns and prostituted women. Six individuals, including three sex buyers, were arrested as a result. All had their names and arrest photos published by local media outlets.
In April 2014, WPD officers conducted a web-based reverse sting resulting in the arrest of 11 johns. Following the investigation, a WPD spokeswoman reported that police had used “confidential informants and internet advertising in setting up the arrests,” and that “defendants [had] responded to the online advertising by appearing at an unidentified Winchester hotel. Police arrested them after they exchanged money for sex.” When asked about the impetus for the operation, the spokeswoman stated:
“The goal of these undercover investigations is to send a message to the public that we will not tolerate this illegal behavior in the city, and we will charge.”
- Winchester Police Department
- Shenandoah County Sheriff’s Office
- Street-Level Reverse Stings and Shaming:
- Web-Based Reverse Stings and Shaming:
- Background on Prostitution and Sex Trafficking in the Area:
- “Residents, Informants Assist in Spa Sting”, Winchester Star, June 23 2005.
- “The Oldest Profession Is New to City”, Winchester Star, October 6 2005.
- “Police Make Prostitution Arrests at Pine Tree Spa in Winchester”, Winchester Daily-Monitor, May 18 2011.
- “Two Charged with Prostitution at City Spa Operation”, Northern Virginia Daily, May 19 2011.
- “Court Papers: Police Interrupted Sex Act during Spa Arrests”, Northern Virginia Daily, May 20 2011.
- “Police Arrest Two on Prostitution Charges in Winchester”, Winchester Daily-Monitor, June 7 2013.
- “Four Arrested in Connection with Prostitution Ring”, Winchester Daily-Monitor, January 16 2014.
- “Martinsburg Woman Faces Charges after Winchester Arrest”, Martinsburg Journal-News, January 16 2014.
- “Warrant Reveals Alleged Prostitution Ring”, Winchester Star, January 30 2014.