Wilson is a city of approximately 50,000 residents, located east of Raleigh in Wilson County, North Carolina. Prostitution and sex trafficking activity have been documented in the city. In late June 2007, officers from the Wilson Police Department conducted a street-level reverse sting along US 301 South. An undercover female officer was placed along the thoroughfare as a decoy; as johns attempted to solicit sex from her, they were apprehended by police. As a warning to other would-be sex buyers, the WPD included all three johns’ names and other identifying information in a press release. A similar operation in March 2013 resulted in the arrest of two johns.
- Wilson Police Department
- Reverse Stings and Shaming:
- “Prostitution Reverse Sting”, Press Release, Wilson Police Department, July 1 2007.
- “Picking Up Prostitutes, 9 Men Charged in Reverse Sting”, Wilson Daily Times, June 29 2011.
- “One More Charged in Prostitution Sting”, Wilson Daily Times, June 30 2011.
- “Police: Five Arrested in Prostitution Sting”, Wilson Daily Times, January 15 2013.
- “Two Arrested in Wilson Prostitution Sting”, Wilson Daily Times, March 28 2013.
- “Dozens Charged in Wilson Crime Crackdown; Police Target Prostitution, Underage Alcohol Sales, Speeding”, Wilson Daily Times, March 30 2013.
- “Five Charged in Wilson Prostitution Sting”, Wilson Daily Times, May 22 2013.
- Sex Trafficking and Child Sexual Exploitation in the Area:
- Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Operation Targets Street-Level Crime”, Wilson Daily Times, December 30 2008.
- “Wilson Police Conduct Vice Sting”, Wilson Daily Times, May 26 2009.
- “Campaign Targets Prostitution, Drugs, Underage Alcohol Sales”, Wilson Daily Times, December 31 2011.