|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Westbrook is a suburb of Portland, Maine. It lies within Cumberland County, and has a population of about 19,000. For decades, police have been aware of prostitution occurring in the city and residents have complained to police about it. Local cases of sex trafficking of adults and children have been uncovered by investigators. In their efforts to reduce prostitution activity and the crimes it generates – including human trafficking – local law enforcement agencies have launched investigations to identify and arrest sex buyers. In February 2014, the Greater Portland Coalition Against Sex Trafficking and Exploitation (a task force operating in the greater Portland, Maine area that is comprised of federal, state, and local agencies) arrested people in connection with a prostitution operation. Police in Portland and Westbrook charged three men with “engaging a prostitute.” One of the three was reportedly arrested in Westbrook. The names and other identifiers of the arrested sex buyers were released to the media.
- Greater Portland Coalition Against Sex Trafficking and Exploitation
- Portland Police Department
- South Portland Police Department
- Westbrook Police Department
- Cumberland County Sheriff’s Office
- Cumberland County District Attorney’s Office
- Scarborough Police Department
- Maine Drug Enforcement Agency
- Maine Pretrial Services
- Department of Homeland Security
Reverse Stings, Identity Disclosure:
- “Lewiston Man Charged with Sex Solicitation in Portland,” Falmouth Forecaster, March 3 2014.
- “Sex Trafficking Task Force Arrests Four in Portland Area Sweep; Police in Portland and Westbrook Charge Three of the Men with Engaging a Prostitute,” Portland Press Herald, March 3 2014.
- “Local & State Dispatches; Portland; Task Force Arrests 4 Suspects as Part of Prostitution Sting,” Portland Press Herald, March 4 2014.
Background on Prostitution and Sex Trafficking in the Area:
- “More Girls from Maine and Portland Being Forced into $32 Billion Sex Trade”, Bangor Daily News, October 5 2012.
- “One Woman’s Story in Sex Slavery”, Bangor Daily News, October 5 2012.
- https://www.pressherald.com/2015/02/19/gorham-buxton-westbrook-men-arrested-for-engaging-a-prostitute/ (2015)
- https://patch.com/trucker-charged-prostitution-minor (2018)
- https://13wham.com/eight-arrested-in-maine-prostitution-sting (2019)
- https://wgan.com/biddeford-man-guilty-of-sex-trafficking/ (2019)
- https://www.justice.gov/maine-woman-sentenced-prison-and-home-confinement-promoting-prostitution (2019)
- https://www.bangordailynews.com/man-accused-of-sex-trafficking-a-minor-in-bangor-scarborough-pleads-guilty/ (2019)
- https://www.newscentermaine.com/article/news/crime/surviving-the-life-maine-a-source-state-for-sex-traffickers (2020)
- https://www.pressherald.com/scarborough-police-asking-people-to-watch-surroundings/ (2022)
- https://patch.com/6-men-accused-human-trafficking-portland-police-say (2022)
- https://www.wmtw.com/article/5-mainers-portland-human-trafficking (2022)
Comments are closed.