|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Webb is located in the southeastern corner of the state of Alabama and serves as the government seat of Houston County, AL. The city has a population of approximately 1,400 residents. Prostitution and sex trafficking are well documented problems throughout the county. For example, the Dothan Police Department conducts periodic street-level and web-based reverse stings in response to citizen complaints, and make multiple arrests in every operation. Loss of employment is a consequence of buying sex that has occurred in Houston County in addition to the city of Webb. For example, in May, 2016, a Houston County man resigned from working as a corrections officer at the Houston County Jail after an arrest during a Dothan police prostitution sting. The Houston County Sheriff’s Office confirmed that the employee resigned in the wake of his recent arrest and charge of committing third-degree promoting prostitution. The Houston County Sheriff’s Office had initially suspended the sex buyer and placed him on administrative leave until further review. The sex buyer later resigned. He was one of seven sex buyers arrested on the misdemeanor prostitution charges during the reverse sting. Similarly, in November, 2014, the Mayor of Webb resigned after being arrested in an undercover prostitution operation conducted by the Dothan Police Department’s vice division. The Webb mayor’s resignation was accepted during a town hall meeting. The 69-year-old man was among those taken into custody and charged with soliciting prostitution along with twelve other suspects in Dothan. City officials declined to make any comment or statement when asked about the mayor’s arrest and resignation. The council appointed a new mayor to the small community just outside of Dothan. The Dothan Police Department had released the names of each suspect, but said due to the nature of the case, investigators would not discuss specifics details regarding the operation.
Sex Buyer Fired or Resigned Due to Arrest, Identity Disclosure:
- https://www.wsfa.com/mayor-of-webb-resigns-after-arrest-in-prostitution-sting-operation/ (2014)
- https://dothaneagle.com/news/crime_court/houston-county-corrections-officer-resigns-after-arrest-for-prostitution/article_c62b7fd8-e647-11e5-9123-8b4e78e410da.html (2016)
Sex Trafficking and Child Sexual Exploitation in the Area:
- “Woman Charged with Promoting Girl for Prostitution,” Dothan Eagle, September 12 2011.
- “Dothan Woman’s Rape Charge Dismissed,” Dothan Eagle, March 6 2013.
- “Bond Set for Man Accused of Human Trafficking,” CBS/WTVY-TV 4, August 28 2013.
- “Victim: Man Used Online Site to Prostitute Her, Others,” Dothan Eagle, May 12 2014.
- “Prosecution: Suspect Brought Teen Girl to Dothan for Prostitution Services,” Dothan Eagle, May 14 2014.
- “Houston County Judge Sentences Tennessee Man to Serve 50 Years for Human Trafficking, Giving Drugs to Minor,” Birmingham News, June 18 2014.
- “Santiago Alonso Sentenced to 50 Years in Prison,” CBS/WTVY-TV 4, June 18 2014.
Documented Violence against Individuals Engaged in Prostitution in the Area:
- “Armed Robbery Suspect’s Bail Reduced,” Dothan Eagle, September 2 2011.