Vacaville is a city located in Solano County in northern California, roughly halfway between Sacramento and San Francisco near Fairfield. It has a population of approximately 94,000. Prostitution and sex trafficking have been identified as problems in the city. For example, in March 2016, a man was arrested in a prostitution sting and was charged with three felony sex crimes, including a human trafficking charge. Vacaville police and FBI agents arrested the suspect at a Lawrence Drive motel where he had traveled with an unnamed 16-year-old girl from Sacramento who authorities believe was exploited in prostitution. Two women were also arrested on suspicion of trying to enlist other women to work for them as prostitutes.
Prostitution and related activity have generated complaints to police by businesses and residents. Police have conducted reverse stings in an effort to combat consumer-level demand for commercial sex. For example, in April 2010, the Vacaville Police Department conducted a web-based prostitution operation which focused on sex buyers, explicitly intended to reduce the demand for prostitution in the city. The suspects responding to a decoy ad and meeting with an undercover female officer were arrested after the presented money to the undercover officer and asked for sex in exchange. Three suspects were booked into the Solano County Jail; all of their names were publicized in local media outlets.
- Vacaville Police Department
- Reverse Stings with Shaming:
- “Covert Prostitution Operation,” Press Release, Vacaville Police Department, April 16 2010.
- “Seven Arrested in Vacaville Prostitution Sting,” Vacaville Reporter, April 17 2010.
- “Vacaville Sex Sting on Massage Parlors, Johns Nets 7 Arrests,” ABC/KXTV-TV 10, April 17 2010.
- Sex Trafficking in the Area:
- “Human Trafficking Arrest in Vacaville,” Vacaville Reporter, March 14 2009.
- “Vacaville Man Forces Woman into Prostitution,” Vacaville Reporter, March 14 2009.
- “Woman Allegedly Forced into Prostitution,” Vallejo Times-Herald, March 15 2009.
- “Prostitution Case Scheduled for Trial,” Vacaville Reporter, May 12 2009.
- “Pimping Sentencing Scheduled for March,” Vacaville Reporter, January 12 2010.
- “Vacaville Man Sentenced for Pimping, Beating,” Vacaville Reporter, March 27 2010.
- Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Crackdown on Prostitution Nets Five Suspects in Vacaville,” Vacaville Reporter, December 24 2009.
- “Prostitution Sting Again in Vacaville,” Vacaville Reporter, December 29 2009.
- “Prostitution Stings in Vacaville Net Arrests,” Vacaville Reporter, January 14 2010.
- “Sex Trade Targeted by Vacaville Police,” Vacaville Reporter, January 17 2010.
- “Prostitution Alleged in Four Vaca Arrests,” Vacaville Reporter, February 27 2010.
- “Vacaville Police Arrest 3 Women in Prostitution Sting,” ABC/KXTV-TV 10, March 7 2010.
- “Massage Parlour Owner from Oakland Arrested in Solano County Prostitution Sting,” Oakland Tribune, April 19 2010.
- “Vacaville Massage Parlor’s Business License Suspended,” Vacaville Reporter, June 22 2010.
- “Vacaville Prostitution Sting Nets Seven Suspects,” Vacaville Reporter, August 12 2010.
- “Vacaville Police Nab Six in Prostitution Sting,” Vacaville Reporter, September 9 2010.
- “Vacaville Police Arrest Four People in Massage Parlor Sting,” Vacaville Reporter, August 22 2014.
- “Six Arrested during Surveillance Operation at Motel,” Vacaville Reporter, September 15 2015.
- https://www.dailyrepublic.com/all-dr-news/solano-news/fairfield/suspect-in-solano-human-trafficking-case-enters-plea/ (2016)