Union City is a city located in Obion County, in northwestern Tennessee. Its population is roughly 10,000. Union City is the principal city of the surrounding micropolitan area, which includes Obion County TN and Fulton County, KY. Sex trafficking and prostitution are documented problems in the city and surrounding areas, and to address them sex buyers have been arrested and their identities publicized. For example, in June, 2015 two men were arrested in a same-sex prostitution sting operation in a Union City park conducted in response to numerous complaints of suspected activity involving solicitation of same-sex prostitution and illicit behavior.
In March, 2021, five men were arrested during a Tennessee Bureau of Investigation sex trafficking sting in Union City. The men were charged with Trafficking for Commercial Sex Act for seeking to purchase illicit sex with minors. The operation was carried out by the TBI Human Trafficking Unit, the Tennessee Human Trafficking Task Force, and the Obion County Sheriff’s Office along with the Department of Homeland Security/Homeland Security Investigations, the Union City Police Department, and the 27th Judicial District Attorney General’s Office. The Tennessee Human Trafficking Task Force includes the Henry County Sheriff’s Department and other agencies. The five men were booked into the Obion County Jail and bond for each man was set at $10,000. The identities of the arrested sex buyers were included in news releases.
- Union City Police Department
- Obion County Sheriff’s Office
- Tennessee Bureau of Investigation
- Human Trafficking Unit
- Tennessee Human Trafficking Task Force
- Henry County Sheriff’s Department
- Department of Homeland Security/Homeland Security Investigations
- 27th Judicial District Attorney General’s Office
Web Based Reverse Sting, Shaming:
- https://www.wkms.org/post/paris-casework-company-expands-obion-county/0 (2015)
- https://www.parispi.net/news/local_news/article (2021)