|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Tustin is a city of approximately 80,000 residents, situated south of Los Angeles in Orange County, California. As in the neighboring community of Santa Ana, the city has reported problems with chronic street prostitution for several decades. Prostitution-related homicides have been reported in the city. Tustin residents have also been implicated in serial rapes of women engaged in prostitution, and the assault and forced prostitution of minors in Santa Ana and nearby Stanton.
The Tustin Police Department has used demand-reduction tactics since at least 1990, if not earlier. In November of that year, TPD officers conducted a street-level reverse sting that netted the arrests of 16 sex buyers using a female police decoy. All of the arrestees’ names were publicized by local media outlets. Since that time, law enforcement have conducted reverse stings on a periodic basis, and routinely release the names of arrested sex buyers to the public.
- Tustin Police Department
Street-Level Reverse Stings, Identity Disclosure:
- “Prostitution Sting,” Orange County Register, November 16 1990.
- “Sting Nets 12 Men on Prostitute-Solicitation Charges,” Los Angeles Times, November 16 1990.
- “Police Try to Keep Prostitutes Moving; Vice Crackdowns Often Push Women from City to City,” Orange County Register, December 16 1990.
- “TUSTIN STING: Officers Arrest 20 Men in Prostitution Crackdown,” Orange County Register, April 28 1991.
- “13 Men Arrested in Tustin in Prostitution Operation,” Orange County Register, January 13 1994.
- “Prostitution Sting Nabs Policeman; POLICE: No Charges Filed Yet against Santa Ana Officer, Who Is Placed on Paid Leave,” Orange County Register, October 18 1994.
- “5 Men Arrested in Sting; Charged with Lewd Conduct,” Orange County Register, June 22 1995.
- “Prostitution Sting Nets 6,” Orange County Register, September 14 1995.
- “6 Arrested in Police Prostitution Sting,” Orange County Register, September 5 1996.
- “POLICE BEAT; Cops Arrest Four in Sting,” Orange County Register, February 13 1997.
- “Tustin – Crime Update; Five Busted in Prostitution Sting,” Orange County Register, November 28 2002.
Sex Trafficking and Child Sexual Exploitation in the Area:
- “Tustin Man Convicted of Abducting and Raping Girl; COURTS: Robert Wooley Also Is Found Guilty of Trying to Sell the 15-Year-Old as a Prostitute,” Orange County Register, March 19 1994.
- “Tustin Man Gets 63 Years for Rape; COURTS: Convicted Felon Will Be 64 Years Old before He Is Eligible for Parole,” Orange County Register, May 14 1994.
Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Man Convicted of Running Tustin Prostitution Ring,” Los Angeles Times, December 30 1986.
- “THE ESCORT TRADE: Date-for-Hire Services Used as Cover by Thriving Call-Girl Rings, Police Say,” Los Angeles Times, January 18 1987.
- “Escort Operator Sentenced,” Orange County Register, February 22 1987.
- “Police Link Irvine Man, 2 Brothers to Prostitution Ring; Crime: Authorities Say Operation Is Connected to One of the Biggest Escort and Exotic-Dancer Businesses in the Southwest; Arrests Are Made in Newport and Tustin,” Los Angeles Times, December 27 1995.
- “City Slaps New Rules on Adult Businesses,” Orange County Register, June 6 1996.
- “Six Charged in Prostitution Ring,” Los Angeles Times, March 23 2007.
- “Six Charged in SoCal Prostitution Ring with Links to Chinese,” Lodi News-Sentinel, March 23 2007.
- “Brothel Ringleader Sentenced to 3 Years; Montebello Man’s Enterprise Offered Chinese Nationals as Prostitutes at 10 Sites in Several O.C. Cities,” Los Angeles Times, October 10 2007.
- “Tustin Updating Rules on Massage Businesses,” Orange County Register, August 8 2009.
- “Tustin Passes Massage Business Rules,” Orange County Register, September 17 2009.
- “Police Arrest Masseuse in Prostitution Sting,” Orange County Register, May 12 2012.
- “Proposed Massage Spas Denied City Permits,” Tustin News, February 6 2014.
- “City Denies Permit for Massage Spa,” Tustin News, March 20 2014.
- “Temporary Ban on New Massage Parlors OK’d,” Tustin News, October 30 2014.
- https://www.ocregister.com/tustin-considers-crackdown-on-massage-parlors/ (2015)
- https://behindthebadge.com/sting-in-anaheim-nets-11-arrests-target-demand-side-of-human-sex-trafficking/ (2020)
Documented Violence against Individuals Engaged in Prostitution in the Area:
- “Body Found,” Orange County Register, December 1 1990.
- “Body Is Found in Tustin Lot Slaying: Police Believe Woman May Have Been Sexually Abused before Being Killed,” Los Angeles Times, December 1 1990.
- “Deputies Arrest Parolee in Attacks on Prostitutes; CRIME: The Serial-Rape Suspect Is Thought to Have Preyed on Women along Beach Boulevard,” Orange County Register, April 13 1995.
- “Rapist’s Sentence: 34 Years; COURTS: Jesse J. Chava’s Preaching to Prostitutes Was His Undoing, Police Say,” Orange County Register, August 15 1995.
Comments are closed.