Springfield is a city of about 60,000 residents located in western Ohio, between Columbus and Dayton along Interstate 70. Prostitution activity has been well-documented in the city and surrounding communities, and in unincorporated areas of the county. For example, in September, 2019, two women were arrested during a prostitution sting conducted by the Springfield Police Safe Streets Task Force on West Main Street. Both were charged with soliciting in Clark County Municipal Court and booked into jail. Problems in the city associated with prostitution include homicides of those who sell sex. Residents often complain to police about prostitution in the city, and in response, the Springfield Police Department has targeted the buyers of sex in reverse stings.
- Springfield Police Department
- Clark County Municipal Court
- National Assessment Survey
- Reverse Stings:
- Sex Trafficking in the Area:
- Documented Violence against Individuals Engaged in Prostitution in the Area:
- “Four Murders, No Arrest”, Springfield News-Sun, June 22 2008.
- “Springfield Police Search for Clues in Women’s Deaths; Investigators Have Not Drawn a Link among the Cases on the City’s West Side that They Are Treating as Unsolved Homicides”, Dayton Daily News, June 22 2008.
- “Springfield’s Unsolved Mysteries”, Springfield News-Sun, June 22 2008.
- “The Price of Prostitution”, Springfield News-Sun, July 20 2008.
- “Springfield Prostitutes Live in Fear after 4 Women Are Killed; Deaths Haunt Area Prostitutes, Who Say Addiction Keeps Them Tied to the Streets”, Dayton Daily News, July 20 2008.
- “Women on Streets Speak Out about Fear, Dangers; Murder of Four Prostitutes Has Others Worried for Their Safety, Too”, Springfield News-Sun, July 20 2008.
- “Man Accused of Kidnapping, Raping, Cincinnati Prostitute”, Springfield News-Sun, December 8 2009.
- “Police: Local Man Raped Prostitute, Sold Her To Others”, NBC/WCMH-TV 4, December 9 2009.
- “Springfield Man Indicted on Rape, Kidnapping Charges”, Springfield News-Sun, November 14 2012.
- “Bond Raised to $250k in Rape, Kidnapping Case”, Springfield News-Sun, November 15 2012.
- “Man to Plead Guilty to Raping Prostitutes”, Springfield News-Sun, May 29 2013.
- Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Cops Forced to Quit over Alleged Actions with Prostitute”, Springfield News-Sun, January 25 2005.
- “Woman Felt She Couldn’t Refuse Officers”, Springfield News-Sun, January 26 2005.
- “5 Arrested in Prostitution Sting at Massage Parlors”, Springfield News-Sun, August 26 2010.
- “5 Women Arrested Spa Prostitution Sting Plead Not Guilty”, Springfield News-Sun, August 27 2010.
- “3 Women Change Pleas in Prostitution Sting”, Springfield News-Sun, September 10 2010.
- “Springfield Undercover Prostitution Sting Nets 6 Arrests”, Springfield News-Sun, August 28 2013.
- “Springfield Prostitution Sting Nets 6 Women”, Springfield News-Sun, October 9 2013.
- https://www.springfieldnewssun.com/news/springfield-police-conduct-prostitution-sting-arrest-two-women (2019)