|IT Based Tactics||✓|
Southgate is a city in Wayne County, MI with a population of approximately 30,000 residents. Prostitution and sex trafficking have been persistent and serious problems throughout Wayne County for decades. Violence among those involved in the local commercial sex trade has also been widespread, and has included at least one serial killer that targeted women in prostitution.
Consumer level demand provides the revenue stream for all prostitution and sex trafficking, and has therefore been targeted by local law enforcement agencies as a strategy for prevention and response. A law enforcement respondent to the 2021 National Assessment Survey reported that web based and street-level reverse stings have been conducted about twice per year in Southgate, and the vehicles of arrested sex buyers have been seized.
- Southgate Police Department
National Assessment Survey – 2021
Background on Local Prostitution and Sex Trafficking:
- http://www.westland.lib.mi.us/pdf/observers.pdf (2008)
- http://www.mlive.com/news/flint_man_accused_of_luring (2013)
- https://www.mlive.com/inkster_man_charged (2015)
- https://www.freep.com/wayne/human-trafficking-charges/ (2015)
- https://www.detroitnews.com/inkster-prostitution-ring/ (2016)
- https://www.fox2detroit.com/motel-store-history-prostitution-crime-shut-down (2017)
Comments are closed.