South Sioux City, NE
|IT Based Tactics||✓|
South Sioux City is a municipality in Dakota County, Nebraska, located immediately across the Missouri River from Sioux City, Iowa, and is part of the Sioux City, IA-NE-SD Metropolitan Statistical Area. As of the 2020 census, the city’s population was approximately 13,000. Prostitution activity has been well-documented in the city and surrounding communities, and in unincorporated areas of the county. This activity and the problems and ancillary crimes it generates results in complaints to law enforcement agencies from residents and businesses. Among the more serious crimes associated with the local commercial sex market is sex trafficking.
Consumer level demand provides the revenue stream for all prostitution and sex trafficking, and has therefore been targeted by local law enforcement agencies as a strategy for prevention and response. For example, in August, 2021, the South Sioux City Police Department arrested six individuals during a multi-state human trafficking operation. Investigators from multiple law enforcement agencies, including the South Sioux City Police Department, Sioux City Police Department, Nebraska State Patrol and Dakota County Sheriff’s Office, conducted an undercover human trafficking operation to identify victims and subjects of adult and child human trafficking and/or prostitution in the Siouxland area. The South Sioux City Police Department said in a statement that one man was arrested for seeking to purchase sex acts with a 15-year-old girl, who was actually an undercover police officer, and fiver other men were arrested and charged with the “solicitation of prostitution,” a misdemeanor.
- South Sioux City Police Department
- Sioux City Police Department
- Nebraska State Patrol
- Dakota County Sheriff’s Office
Web Based Reverse Sting, Identity Disclosure:
- https://ktiv.com/south-sioux-city-police-release-information-on-suspects-arrested-on-human-trafficking-charges/ (2021)
- https://kscj.com/south-sioux-police-arrest-6-on-sex-trafficking-charges/ (2021)
- https://www.siouxlandproud.com/south-sioux-city-police-arrest-6-during-human-trafficking-operation/ (2021)
- https://siouxcityjournal.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/ponca-man-pleads-guilty-to-federal-sex-charge (2022)
Sex Trafficking and Child Sexual Exploitation in the Area:
- “Nebraskans Say Law Helps to Control Teen Prostitution,” Omaha World-Herald, March 22 1985.
- “Task Force Cites Big Prostitution Ring,” Spencer Daily Reporter, August 22 1985.
- “Citizens Group Urges Tougher Laws To End Teen-age Prostitution,” Omaha World-Herald, September 26 1985.
- “Teen-age Prostitutes Keep a Low Profile in Omaha,” Omaha World-Herald, September 29 1985.
- “Rumor Places Prostitution Ring in Other Cities,” Omaha World-Herald, October 10 1985.
Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Police Target Cook Park Prostitutes,” Sioux City Journal, August 12 1997.
- “New Ordinance Would Establish Licensing Requirements and Regulations for Sexually-Oriented Businesses in Sioux City,” Sioux City Journal, December 7 2004.
- “Police Arrest Seven in Prostitution Sting,” Sioux City Journal, July 23 2005.
- “Cracking Down,” Sioux City Journal, July 27 2005.
- “Prostitution Arrest Made at Sioux City Massage Business,” Sioux City Journal, November 30 2011.
- “Arraignment Set in Massage Business Prostitution Case,” Sioux City Journal, December 1 2011.
- “Crime Watch: Masseuse Arrested for Soliciting Undercover Officer, Police Say,” Sioux City Journal, December 1 2011.
- “Sioux City Massage Parlor Case Dismissed,” Sioux City Journal, June 19 2012.
- “State Suspends Sioux City Massage Therapists’ Licenses,” Sioux City Journal, April 30 2013.
- “Couple Arrested for Pimping, Prostitution,” Sioux City Journal, April 4 2016.
Documented Violence against Individuals Engaged in Prostitution in the Area:
Comments are closed.