Slidell is a town of less than 28,000 residents in the greater New Orleans area, situated to the northeast and about midway between New Orleans and Gulfport, Mississippi in St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana. Prostitution and sex trafficking are documented problems in the area, and among other efforts, local law enforcement have attempted to ameliorate these problems by targeting consumer-level demand for commercial sex. For example, the St. Tammany Parish Narcotics Task Force, using agents from the Sheriff’s Office Narcotics Division and a representative from the Slidell Police Department, conducted a prostitution and illicit drug sting resulting in the arrest of 15 individuals on a variety of prostitution and drug-related charges. According to a STPSO press release, “the operation was based in a hotel near Gause Boulevard and Interstate 10. Three female undercover agents, while walking in nearby parking lots, were approached by suspects soliciting sex for money or attempting to purchase or sell narcotics. The suspects were led back by the decoys to a hotel room where suspects thought the exchanges would be made. An adjacent room in the hotel contained surveillance audio and video equipment, more than a dozen uniformed agents who entered the undercover room through a common door to make arrests.” Ten of the arrests were men charged with soliciting prostitution from the female decoys. Their names, dates of birth, and addresses were released to the public.
In 2014, a man was caught on camera having sex with a prostituted woman at work at a Slidell retail store. The manager found a company check missing, and looked to surveillance footage for answers. He saw one of his employees hire a prostitute while on the job and engage in sex. The man paid by forging a company check for $200 and gave it to the woman. Police arrested the man for theft, forgery and solicitation of a prostitute.
- St. Tammany Parish Sheriff’s Office
- Slidell Police Department
- Reverse Stings and Shaming:
- Sex Trafficking and Child Sexual Exploitation in the Area:
- “Associate Minister Arrested for Soliciting Sex from Teen Girl”, CBS/WWL-TV 4, July 30 2010.
- “Associate Minister Booked with Soliciting Sex from Minor in Slidell”, New Orleans Times-Picayune, July 30 2010.
- https://wgno.com/slidell-elementary-school-students-arrested-for-child-pornography-after-sending-nude-snapchats/ (2018)
- https://wgno.com/2019/04/23/prostitution-operation-discovered-in-slidell/ (2019)
- Background on Prostitution in the Area:
- “Four Booked with Soliciting”, Baton Rouge Advocate, July 3 1986.
- “Men Sentenced for Pandering”, Baton Rouge Advocate, November 22 1986.
- “Drug, Prostitution Stings Net Seven Arrests in Slidell”, New Orleans Times-Picayune, February 25 2008.
- “Six Busted in Slidell Prostitution Sting”, New Orleans Times-Picayune, October 4 2010.
- “Latest Slidell Police Arrest Reports”, New Orleans Times-Picayune, June 24 2011.
- “The Latest Arrests by Slidell Police”, New Orleans Times-Picayune, October 12 2011.
- “Latest Arrests, Citations Reported by Slidell Police”, New Orleans Times-Picayune, March 13 2012.
- “Slidell Unveils Latest Arrests, Citations”, New Orleans Times-Picayune, July 3 2012.
- https://www.wdsu.com/article/slidell-city-council-expected-to-approve-rules-aimed-at-restricting-illegal-massage-parlors/24285509 (2018)
- https://www.nola.com/northshore/2018/11/after-prostitution-sting-slidell-requires-massage-workers-to-be-licensed.html (2018)