Siloam Springs is a city of approximately 15,000 residents, located in Benton County in northwest Arkansas. In an effort to identify and apprehend sex buyers, the Siloam Springs Police Department has conducted at least two web-based reverse stings. In February and June of 2009, officers posted advertisements selling sex on Craigslist and Backpage.com. When men replied to the listings and agreed to meet, they were arrested for solicitation. The men’s names and other identifying information were released to the local media.
- Web-Based Reverse Stings with Shaming:
- “Group Arrested in Siloam Springs for Prostitution”, Siloam Springs Herald-Leader, February 18 2009.
- “Prostitution Sting”, NWA Media, June 1 2009.
- Sex Trafficking and Child Sexual Exploitation in the Area:
- “Woman Charged with Promoting Prostitution Involving a Minor”, Northwest Arkansas Times, December 28 2004.
- “Prosecutors Dismiss Prostitution Case against Woman”, CBS/KTHV-TV 11, November 2 2005.